Full range buzzing sound. Suggestions?

Status
This old topic is closed. If you want to reopen this topic, contact a moderator using the "Report Post" button.
Philips driver repair

The surgery has begun..

Ungluing the cone suspension surround from the frame was an easy one... ungluing the spider assembly, more tacky... but I did it and the complete cone/voice coil/ spider assembly is safe and sound..

Well, now.. what do we have here? it looks like a part of the material on wich the voice coil was wound has desintegrated.. but no burnt wires. So, how now could I kind of rewind the voice coil? if I find some holder, tube like, so that I can use it as a support, it will get stuck to the voice coil if I use some kind of varnish to fix it.. Any idea someone?

I'll put some pics when I get back from work.

Have a nice day.

frugal-phile™
Joined 2001
Paid Member
Re: Philips driver repair

Sylver300B said:
it looks like a part of the material on wich the voice coil was wound has desintegrated..

Sounds like you will need a new voice coil former. You get good at this and you've got a new vocation repairing vintage drivers.... what are the exact sizes of the former? I'll also look to see if i have one of these dead (still buried under my wife's sewing patterns)

dave

Hey Sylvain,
I think I still have one of those drivers. I know I have also some of the non-whizzer variation of this Phillips driver. If you ever come to Montreal, I can give you one of them, perhaps you can salvage the voice coil.
These are nice drivers, but the 4 inch was the best of all (I bought a dozen of these 25 years ago from Payette électronique)
good luck!

PS mine are not of 1960`s vintage, but the frame is the exact same design and they have half-roll textile suspensions.

Philips driver repair

planet10 said:

Sounds like you will need a new voice coil former. You get good at this and you've got a new vocation repairing vintage drivers.... what are the exact sizes of the former? I'll also look to see if i have one of these dead (still buried under my wife's sewing patterns)

dave

Former? what is it? (french is my language..) The few drivers I have scavenged when I was a young boy had a kind of card board, or paper cylinder on wich the coil was wound.. this one doesn't seem to have that kind of support, it looks as if the coil would have been formed on a tool, then sprayed with some varnish, (brick color) so that it holds by itself, then I imagine the tool is removed and you have a coil that has no other "fomer?" than its varnish..

Am I wrong ??

robertG said:
Hey Sylvain,
I think I still have one of those drivers. If you ever come to Montreal, I can give you one of them, perhaps you can salvage the voice coil. PS mine are not of 1960`s vintage, but the frame is the exact same design and they have half-roll textile suspensions.

Thanks Robert and friends! I am touched by the complicity and enthusiasm you folks display at giving me a helping hand.

I was in Montreal this last week-end! too bad I missed your invitation.

How do I measure the "former" ?? I imagine I do measure the voice coil diameter? the outside ?

I'll try again to get a decent pic. My camera (Canon G2) is supposed to be ok, but gee, do I have difficulties at taking close details. More later.

frugal-phile™
Joined 2001
Paid Member
Re: Philips driver repair

Sylver300B said:
Am I wrong ??

The coil is wound on the cylinder (called a voice coil former... you won't find the wire by itself.... your speaker had a VC former at some time, it is necessary to transmit the drive from the VC to the cone.

In the philips it will/would have been paper. Did you leave it behind in the gap...

dave

Re: Re: Philips driver repair

planet10 said:

The coil is wound on the cylinder (called a voice coil former... you won't find the wire by itself....

In the philips it will/would have been paper. Did you leave it behind in the gap...

dave

Well Dave, as I told before, I have not performed many autopsy on drivers, but yes, there used to be a paper former on wich the coil was wound.. but on this driver, it rather looks as if a thin tape would have been applied and it has partly melted when the coil was over driven.. Have a look to the pics. Sorry for the poor quality.

Attachments

• voice c.jpg
    voice c.jpg
    51.7 KB · Views: 183
suspension

In fact, aside the learning potential this surgery brings to me, I must say that I am trying to salvage this driver mainly because it seems to be a rare examplary with the canvas/accordeon suspension, rather than the usual half roll suspension.

Attachments

• susp.jpg
    susp.jpg
    27.5 KB · Views: 161
disappearing act

planet10 said:
looks lke half the voice coil is there & half missing -- might well be sitting in the bottom of the gap... it is rare in my experience, all the accordian surrounds i recall were extensions of the cone.

dave

Well,

I have looked carefully, and have seen no trace of the missing former.. sigh! I will look again.

As for this accordeon surround (textile) yes, it seems to be something rare. The other matching driver is perfect.. so, I'll do my best to salvage this one.

Any suggestion welcomed.

Message to RobertG

robertG said:
Hey Sylvain,
I think I still have one of those drivers. I know I have also some of the non-whizzer variation of this Phillips driver. If you ever come to Montreal, I can give you one of them, perhaps you can salvage the voice coil.

Hi Robert,

I would accept your offer about that driver. I see no other way to fix this poor driver.

Please email me directly at: gigueresylvain@hotmail.com

And when I go to Montreal, we arrange something, so that we can meet, may be even listen to some of your creations? ;) And of course, I pay the beer!

:D

Eureka! (Philips accordeon driver)

Hi folks,

Looks like I have found an easy solution to my buzzing driver with fried voice coil.

I went back to the same flea market where I had found the first pair of drivers with accordeon (textile) suspension.. and found another identical pair! for $25 cdn.

So, I now have a complete pair and a spare. ;)

I plugged the pair and played music on them -> quite surprising. Of course, there is some boxiness due to those poor, very poor cabinets, but the mids and highs are more than decent. Very musical.

This way, I have two pairs of these Philips drivers, one pair with the half roll suspension and the other pair with the accordeon suspension, same cone, whizzer and basket/magnet and model numbers..

I'll be able to compare them in a TQWT soon.

Thanks for all those who gave me sound advices.

Thanks Dave

Thanks for these specs.

They'll sure be usefull.

I'm glad you didn't forget. That makes you just even more precious. ;)

I am on my way about finishing the Zigmahornets with Foster driver.

Do you think the Philips could work into this small TQWT?

Any suggestion about how to use these Philips? would they work in the Cyburgs Needle?

I know.. each answer generates more questions.. That's what friends are for, no?:D

frugal-phile™
Joined 2001
Paid Member
Re: Thanks Dave

Sylver300B said:
I am on my way about finishing the Zigmahornets with Foster driver.

Do you think the Philips could work into this small TQWT?

The Q on these is higher thean the FE103A which is already higher than the FE103. Fs is about the same. The unknown Vas plays a big role in the size of the box... so who knows if it will work in either of these. Certainly the Q is high enuff that it should work in an alphasTL or an ML-TQWT.

dave

Status
This old topic is closed. If you want to reopen this topic, contact a moderator using the "Report Post" button.