Is this driver identical to the FE-103?

Status
This old topic is closed. If you want to reopen this topic, contact a moderator using the "Report Post" button.
Here is the Fostex FE-103, around £26 in the UK.

fostexFE103.jpg

Here is a "4 inch mid-range" from a place called Cornwall Electronics, selling for £9.99

An externally hosted image should be here but it was not working when we last tested it.

Look at how similar they are. I wonder if they're actually the same driver, but just differently coloured. Maybe I should order a couple and see how they sound?

bigwill said:
Here is the Fostex FE-103, around £26 in the UK.

Look at how similar they are. I wonder if they're actually the same driver, but just differently coloured. Maybe I should order a couple and see how they sound?

That is a Radio Shack 40-1197 which is no longer available. It is not identical to a FE-103. I understand that the cone and frame are different but that the magnet is the same. The FE-103 is said to have a touch less bass, but more extended and better highs.

I recently picked up four of the 40-1197. I am thinking of trying them in horn configurations.

There is quite a bit of information available on the 40-1197.

Just like most driver manufacturers, Fotex will make OEM drivers for other companies. That looks very similar to one that was sold by Radio Shack here in North America under the model number 40-1197. On the back of the magnet was the RS number and also the Fostex number FE-103. If you could get your hands on one your question may be answered right there.
Check this link:
http://www.timn8er.com/bipole_voigt_pipe.htm
If it is a FE-103 variant you could possibly have a diamond in the rough.

Timn8ter said:
Just like most driver manufacturers, Fotex will make OEM drivers for other companies. That looks very similar to one that was sold by Radio Shack here in North America under the model number 40-1197. On the back of the magnet was the RS number and also the Fostex number FE-103. If you could get your hands on one your question may be answered right there.
Check this link:
http://www.timn8er.com/bipole_voigt_pipe.htm
If it is a FE-103 variant you could possibly have a diamond in the rough.

That is a Radio Shack 40-1197.

Here is an excerpt from the Cornwall website:

Cornwall Electronics Formerly Tandy Truro - Radioshack dealer

catalogue of cornwall electronics including, tandy , radioshack , ...

Status
This old topic is closed. If you want to reopen this topic, contact a moderator using the "Report Post" button.