Understanding the Replikon horn

Status
This old topic is closed. If you want to reopen this topic, contact a moderator using the "Report Post" button.
Hi Alain,

until now I haven't played with the Fe207e so that I don't know the optimal volume. I will try to simulate the driver in the Replikon and also try to simulate the driver in the horn for the FP203.

the plan for the Replikon:
Fostex Fe208Sigma BL-Horn (Replikon) - diyAudio

the plan for the FP203-horn:
Fostex FP203 BL-Horn - diyAudio

The big difference betwenn these two drivers are that the Fe208sigma only needs something around 45 liters and the FP203 over 55 liters.

Raffi is also playing with the Fe206e in the Replikon and of course we will post our impressions.

How about a Betsy k from wild burro audio? Wild Burro Audio Labs - Fullrange Speakers - The Betsy & Betsy-K Drivers

Joined 2008
Paid Member
I found this thread while searching for a BLH or BVR box for my Sonido SFR-200A speakers. The T/S parameters can be seen here: http://sonido.hu/adat_pdf/sfr-200a.pdf

I came up with 30 l chamber, Ath = 114 cm2, Am = 1340 cm2. In Hornresp, I get 105 db at 40 Hz at maximum displacement (in 1 pi placement) which is still kind of cool and well above the intended listening level.

Does this sound reasonable?

Edit: If have a look above, the volume should be around Vas/0.8, which gives ca 75 liters for the Sonido with smoother response and lower extension. Still over 100 dB capable down to almost 30 Hz. Exponential expansion gives lower gain but better response. Now I just need to fold it into a box, which should not be difficult.

Last edited:
Hmm, your sims are different than posted.....regardless, at 1 W/Xmax = ~98 dB/40 Hz/1pi and somewhat lower at < 1 W with the 70 L version, but HR defaults at 1 W, so not sure by how much; i.e. always test your sim in the TOOLS/MAXIMUM SPL calculator to find the approximate linear power handling limit, though with these type drivers they can normally be safely pushed somewhat past this point, but doubt it would be enough to hit 105 dB/40 Hz except in a seriously large BLH, which would probably over damp the driver enough to ruin it for 'full-range' apps.

GM

Joined 2008
Paid Member
GM, I am sorry for mixing the files - I think this one should be as close to the original posting as possible, the 75 l version is bad and you are very correct about the 1W limit. The 30l version however does what I claimed (if I am interpreting the results correctly).

The point is, I am trying to find some suitable box for these speakers - I can use the Sonido BLH, but I would like to explore some options.

Attachments

• SonidoOriginal.txt
    1 KB · Views: 62
I don't see how you can read it that way.....I get @ Xmax:

1W = ~60 Hz/105 dB

As power goes up, the frequency does drop, but at the expense of the higher BW increasingly exceeding Xmax, so it's academic :( except if there's a narrow BW spike down low [not likely].

That said, it's not that bad an alignment, but if size isn't a major issue, how about ~110 dB eff. with 'flea' [fractional] power...... ;)

GM

Attachments

• SFR200A_BLH.txt
    1 KB · Views: 77
Joined 2008
Paid Member
The picture in the attachment is what I get with the 35l BVR simulation - and maximum SPL tool. The red part (if I understand it correctly) is the Xmax limited part.

The BLH you suggest is very efficient, but I am afraid it is already too large. Something similar to Hedlund horn or the Sonido's own designs is the largest I can tolerate in my room.

I just wondered how the SFR200A would perform in the somewhat smaller Replikon-like BVR.

Attachments

• SonidoHornResp.jpg
    SonidoHornResp.jpg
    35.5 KB · Views: 203
Joined 2008
Paid Member
Hmm. I need to rethink that. The Sonidos need some adequate box. I tried to get a good alignment with a ML-TQWT, but I was not too successful. I think I will start a new thread. Something in the lines of folded Voigt pipe could be a good start.

Last edited:
Status
This old topic is closed. If you want to reopen this topic, contact a moderator using the "Report Post" button.