Buschhorn MkII w/ Foster W422, aka Fostex FE103A

Status
This old topic is closed. If you want to reopen this topic, contact a moderator using the "Report Post" button.
planet10 said:

Can you post a pic of the front. Radial ribs (usually just sticking out from a black dustcap) will confirm that this is a set of the rare Atomix driver. If it is not suffering from SSS (stiff surround syndrome) you have a set of some of the very best exemplars of the 103a genre (along with the holey basket Coral). Yours does have ceramic magnet which i haven't seen and may knock them back a notch in desireability.

dave

Hi Dave

thanks for your input, greatly appreciated !
btw I'm a fan of your projects.. I'm finalizing a pair of fonken floorstanders..:)

front image attached below.

best regards
Vale

Attachments

• w422front.jpg
    w422front.jpg
    29.1 KB · Views: 448
planet10 said:
Exactly as expected... i still want to see one of these without the dustcap... you have some treasures. How are the surrounds?

dave

Hi Dave,

well, I've got them right 5 min ago on ebay (50eu/pair) :D these are going to replace a pair of fe103sigma (one is unfortunately broken, voice coil got some dc), box is a TQWT

regarding surrounds.. well, as soon as I have them in hand I'll check it and I'll report back

btw I don't plan any intrusive mod if not necessary.. are this model laser like on high freq as regular fe103? wooden phase plugs recommended?

thanks for your comments
ciao
Vale

planet10 said:
Exactly as expected... i still want to see one of these without the dustcap... you have some treasures. How are the surrounds?

dave

Hi Dave

received this morning the pair. Installed quick and dirty (don't fit perfectly, holes 1mm larger) on a tqwt cabinet I was using with 103sigma.
sorrounds seems to be okay, quite flexible

my first impression.. sound is good. I was expecting more sensibility, though.
compared to 103sigma the sound is more relaxed more sweet, easy listening
no shouting at HF

do you know the original specs of this driver?

thanks
Vale

planet10 said:

I've never had one so have not been able to measure one. The alnico will also have aged so how much the original performance has changed from new is a big variable.

As a class Fs is in the 80-100 Hz range, Qts (IIRC) something like 0.5, Vas on the order of 4l

dave

Hi Dave

thanks for the info.. I'm still wondering about their sensibility.. it seems to be lower than plain 103 .. alnico aging maybe the cause of that?

cheers
vale

fe-103 type drivers

Hello,
Here are some photos of the fe-103 type drivers that I have. You mentioned that they may have been made by Atomix. They are marked W-422 / 8 Ohm / 2 watt / max 8 watt / full range / Japan. There are small, radial ribs on the cone. They sound very nice. I had to completely dismantle (destroy) the original cabinets in order to remove the drivers. I've had them mounted inside a nice pair of Realistic Solo 103 cabinets for safe keeping. Please feel free to email with questions or advice. Anyway, I hope the photo posting works.

Attachments

• IMG_4204.jpg
    IMG_4204.jpg
    883.6 KB · Views: 125
  • IMG_4210.jpg
    IMG_4210.jpg
    878.7 KB · Views: 121
  • IMG_4208.jpg
    IMG_4208.jpg
    829.5 KB · Views: 120
Status
This old topic is closed. If you want to reopen this topic, contact a moderator using the "Report Post" button.