Dynamat on speaker spider

Status
This old topic is closed. If you want to reopen this topic, contact a moderator using the "Report Post" button.
Hi,
I have read that a lot of people put felt on the ribs of the speaker and the magnet and also using duct putty to do the same. I guess this would be for vibration control? My question is has anyone tried to use dynamat to do the same. I have a sheet of it laying around and I was thinking of using it on a Fostex 166-esr. I just wanted to know if it would be a good idea or a bad one. Thanks for any info.

John

It couldn't hurt? You can always remove it later..(perhaps it will take a little effort/carefulness to remove though.)

I put some "non-hardening window putty" around my subwoofers,in the crease between magnet,and basket.
I noticed a slight buzzing/ringing at high volumes,and it seems to have gone away now.
The putty I believe was "Frost King" brand,in a roll of like 4-5 coils of this putty "string" stuff..
It comes in handy when prototyping speakers/enclosures (filling drill holes,crevices,etc.) and it stays pliable!
Makes a nice gasket to seal speakers to panels/enclosures also.

I've done this on some FR drivers as well (putty) to try and damp any frame/basket ringing. I've always wondered though if this does not mess with the heat dissipation of the driver? I presume that driver engineers are designing the whole driver (including basket) as a system.

I thought the spider was the basket. How about the metal ribs going from the magnet to the speaker mounting flange.:D And also one on the back of the magnet. Just cut it the same diameter as the magnet diameter. Like I said I have this stuff laying around and was thinking of cutting it into strips to put on the ribs.

Morbo, I never though of heat dissipation from the backet. Well what I will do is just cut the Dynamat in thin strips and put them on the ribs. The stuff really kills vibration even in small amounts. I dont know if you ever seen their demonstration with the bells. They use the bells you suaully see in hotel rooms at the counter. One had no Dyanmat and the other one had a little round piece. I would say the diameter of 6mm. The bell without had a nice ring to it but the one with the Dynamat on was dead. Well what I will do first is just play them with nothing on for a while and see what they sound like. Than in a couple of months put on the Dynamat and see if I can hear a difference. The boxes are almost complete. I cant wait to see what they sound like.

Status
This old topic is closed. If you want to reopen this topic, contact a moderator using the "Report Post" button.