do I need bracing for a 15L BR?

Status
This old topic is closed. If you want to reopen this topic, contact a moderator using the "Report Post" button.
I'm planning on building the Fostex FE167e 15L recommended BR box out of scrape .675" MDF for fun. My question is that do I need somekind of bracing for a box this size? If yes, how would I install one and where? What does bracing do anyway? Could I get away with just using thicker boards? TIA...

I'm planning on building the Fostex FE167e 15L recommended BR box out of scrape .675" MDF for fun.
I built exactly this out of 0.75"-MDF and believe me it´s more than "just" fun. It´s a wonderful driver and the sound coming out of this little cabinet is quite pleasing. As it´s just 2 days old I still haven´t played with my sub to integrate with them.
If it works out well I´ll leave them as they are; if not I´ll probably try the FT1600 from Bob Brines.

I´d reckon you won´t need any bracing but that´s IMHO.
If you don´t mind the extra $ use birch plywood or similar which is much more rigid.

If it works out well I´ll leave them as they are; if not I´ll probably try the FT1600 from Bob Brines.

LOL, right now I have a pair of the FT 1600 but was wondering what all the fuss was about with the FE167e in a BR box. I have all this left over MDF from my kids closet project and will build these just out of curiosity and can compare it to a ML TL. Should be fun. I'll keep everyone posted...

Hey father of the italian stallion, can you hear me?,
Did you built the recommended already?
Right now I can´t make a decision if I should go 25l similar to the omega-grande-loudspeakers or FT1600.
Which version did you built BTW, there are 2 different up on the website at the moment.

greets

Well.... I did build the boxes but never got passed that point and their still sitting in the garage at the moment. :ashamed: I guess I got sidetracked and forgot about them. My finished size came out to be about 17L. Not sure if it would make a difference but thats what I got.

Okay now I have an insentive to complete them or at least give them a quick listening test.

BTW, Bob Brines has some plans for the FE167e in BR. He mentioned that its just as sweet as the FT1600 but will a little less bottom end and recommended a sub to go with them. Come to think of it, maybe this is why I never completed them. I think I had plans to build a sub-woofer first. Never got to that neither... Oh well, at least I can try the BRs without too much more effort or money. Stay tuned...

Thanks Rocky for some hints to help my undecisive mind.
Think I´m going for the big one...

RockysDad: Please tell us about how it sounds...hmm 17 liters..just the same volume I'm intent to build for my FE167E !
17l as is the 15l recommended is sounding very thin without a sub depending on what you listen to and the size of your room.
I just tried it today with my sub and that´s alright although I´d never built the15l again. (that is in a ~30m^2 room and about 2m from the wall)
Have a look at Bob Brines FB-16 or the omega-loudspeakers which have about 20-25l net volume.
Makes crossing over to a sub much easier and in a small room they might play well without one.

greets

joensd said:
Thanks Rocky for some hints to help my undecisive mind.
Think I´m going for the big one...

Good choice! The FT1600 is pretty nice but if you are looking for hard rock type of bass then these aren't for you. They are best suited for jazz and accoustic type of music which pretty much sums it up for all ML-TL speakers. Also, it took me awhile to tune them up the way I wanted it, though. I ended up with the BSC circuit, no Zobel and a super tweeter added for that extra sparkle. I'm still debating adding a sub-woofer in the future to beef up the bottom end a bit more incase I'm in the mood for classic rock. Well see...

Happy building :smash: and don't forget some pics of you final creation!

Status
This old topic is closed. If you want to reopen this topic, contact a moderator using the "Report Post" button.