47 labs Hotei speaker

Status
This old topic is closed. If you want to reopen this topic, contact a moderator using the "Report Post" button.
Konnichiwa,

Variac said:
I believe Bastanis uses Eminence - don't know if custom or not.

Custom.

dmason said:
I believe the Prometheus uses the off the shelf Eminence Delta Lite 12.

No, they don't use the Delta Lite. They have a much higher Qt. Based on discussions with RB (I have no reason to doubt him, he told quite freely what every component in his various systems levels was, including the "Kingtone" System) they are customised designs, both woofers and Midranges, from the factory.

dmason said:
The slot tweeter is stock Beyma. I heard these in Denver in the fall and they were a force to be reckoned with.

Highly recommended kit speaker.

I have a pair here and could not agree more.

Sayonara

Ex-Moderator
Joined 2002
Thanks for reminding me about those Beymas. I heard some a good few years ago paired with some very dodgy 12"s in some wedges in a club. The lower range was a bit clouded, but I suspect that was probably the crossovers, but 5k and up was so sweet and clear, completely natural. It would be nice to get a pair now to have a play with...

Toranaga Sama Wang:

Q: Did you happen to hear the Dragonfly at any point?

Equally treated Eminence with C/D coaxially mounted, of Bulgarian origin, apparently. Sprinkled with either Pixie or diamond dust. Verrrry interesting hybrid horn/TL. Similar midband signature one hopes?

Attachments

• alan.jpeg
    alan.jpeg
    74.8 KB · Views: 951
And that driver came from a 1960's Hartley ConcertMaster, according to its owner, who found it at a thrift store. Thrifty indeed.

The new driver is apparently almost identical to the old, retaining the polymerized cloth cone, and magnetic braking mechanism, but now has a ceramic magnet and chromed frame. According to its keeper, it picks up considerable sensitivity while maintaining the same sonic attributes.

Still, the Hotei driver could come from any Eastern OEM made to order outfit, with a poly cone.

To all those interested in the Hotei speaker -

The main driver in this system is the Hartley 220MSG, 10" full
range loudspeaker. Construction is an all polymer cone, dual
voice coil, integral silicone rubber surround and magnetic
suspension internal braking system. This is the same driver
we have been manufacturing since 1956, of course, with many
improvements.

Richard Schmetterer
President/Owner - Hartley Loudspeakers

frugal-phile™
Joined 2001
Paid Member
audiolab said:
This is the same driver
we have been manufacturing since 1956, of course, with many
improvements.

Richard,

Do tell us more -- i was under the impression that Hartley was another giant that had faded into time.

I've never actually even seen a Hartley other than in pics, but a good friend used to sell quite a few from his HiFi shop and the superlatives used has had me interested for the last 25 years.

How did you keep under the radar so well?

The pic is of the 10 i believe.

dave

Attachments

• hartleyaquarium.jpg
    hartleyaquarium.jpg
    21.3 KB · Views: 818
Hartley Loudspeakers

Dave:

Hartley has been continually manufacturing drivers since 1927.

It has been in two families for all those years. The origins of
the company was British from 1927 to 1952. In 1953 my father,
Robert Schmetterer, purchased all rights and manufacturing of
the Hartley name.

Since we moved to Wilmington, NC, in 1986 from New Jersey,
we have kept a very low profile in the industry. This is greatly due to the complicated manufacturing process of our drivers. We believe our manufacturing is the most labor intensive of any moving coil loudspeakers that we know of. There are over 50 hand operations in making one 220MSG (10") speaker. We think it's worth it. We continue to supply raw drivers to audiophiles all over the world.

Yes, the photo you posted was a 220MSG - the 10" Hartley full range speaker, in a fish tank.

Richard

We continue to supply raw drivers to audiophiles all over the world.

Richard,

Could you post the prices and specifcation of your drivers here?
Maybe some pictures of them.
I tried to find this information in the internet many times for a couple of years and always failed.

I hope nobody mind putting this here. Hartley is such unique manufacture I wouldn't even call such post commercial.

Bartek

Status
This old topic is closed. If you want to reopen this topic, contact a moderator using the "Report Post" button.