Cyburgs-Needle for Tangband W3-871S

Last weekend I received the new Alpair 6 paper speakers from Markaudio. So I dropped them in a pair of Needles, let them run in for a few days, and put on some music.... Well, what can I say, these are as close to the perfect Needle driver as I have ever heard. Excellent details, wonderful soundstage, great off-axis response (so the soundstage is also there when not in the traditional sweet spot), and the bass is a real bass.

And the great thing is, no baffle step correction needed! As you know, I rather have a filter than a coloured sound, so I already had my measuring stuff stand by to be able to quickly make a filter. But no, these Needles sounded natural and correct with only a copper wire between the amp and the speakers. I made some quick measurements, and this confirmed what my ears told me: a curve as flat as the landscape in Holland:
Alpair6 gen2 (raw, s10).png

What Alpair 6 do you mean? I only can find the one with " 60mm ultra low mass mixed alloy cone with multi-coating".
this is the new Alpair6 gen2 paper.
more info: http://www.diyaudio.com/forums/markaudio/177018-alpair-6p-gen-2-paper-introduction.html
Alpair6mk2P_2.jpg

Have you try the Gen 2 metal on it, or are you intending to ?
I have only 1 pair, and that's paper... the metal ones are stil on a ship. I most likely will test the metal gen.2 in a Needle as well when I get my hands om them (I try everything sized 3" or 3½" in a Needle :D ).

What frequency is your graph starting at? It looks like 600Hz to me.:confused: If so, can you post a measurement starting at 50Hz and up, with the same settings please?
I did a gated measurement in my room, cannot go much deeper than this due to reflections messing up the measurements. I do not have an anechoic chamber. If I do a measurement down to 50Hz, you'll see the accoustics of my room, not the speaker.

It looks a bit to good to be true but, where to buy these drivers? I'm definitely interested! (I'm from Belgium)
They are very good, nothing "too good" here, Mark Fenlon of Markaudio has designed them to have a response so that it is possible to have a linear response in a box, sort of built in baffle step correction. Here is another example of that.

I got 1 pair by speedpost to be able to test them and share the results with the DIY community, commercial quantities are on a ship somewhere between Hong Kong and Rotterdam. The dealer for Belgium is Juoigâ in the Netherlands (yes, that's me as well)

frugal-phile™
Joined 2001
Paid Member
Have you try the Gen 2 metal on it, or are you intending to ?

The A6M will, i understand, at first be a bit scarce outside of Japan (so no sample units unlike the A6P). If you want some, get your pre-order in now (US distrib had to increase their Metal order as it turns out i had pre-ordered 3/4ths of their original supply). I haven't had time to play with the production numbers, but based on the pre-production data A6M fits into a really small box, which will have some significant appeal to some. And assumming that improvements are on the same order as they are in the A10.2 they will be a stunning driver.

dave

My first but not last...

This is my first Cyburgs-Needle, I did use the Vifa 3 1/2 inch full range driver (TG9FD10/04) and now I’m experimenting with two different filters.

One is 0,82mH/8,2uF/2,2 Ohm and the other that I'm trying with is 1,50mH/2,2uF/12,0 Ohm as my living room is kind of empty and sounds a bit harsh.

The sound is as I think is outstanding but you can really tell if a recording is bad, it is not so forgiving, unluckily some of my (for the moment) favorite song are badly recorded one is “Salem Al Fakir – Keep on Walking” and “Within Temptation – Black Symphony” but for the later one there is a substitute in “An acoustic night at the theater”.

Together with my old car subwoofer and a 100hz high pass filter they do "rock" in my big living room (got to get some more furniture’s), they have been playing a large mixture of styles and all with an superb result.
At this moment I just would to thank Berndt for sharing this with us.

\\Mårten

Attachments

• Web_621 [800x600].jpg
    Web_621 [800x600].jpg
    32.5 KB · Views: 972
  • Web_623 [800x600].jpg
    Web_623 [800x600].jpg
    41.1 KB · Views: 952
  • Web_626 [800x600].jpg
    Web_626 [800x600].jpg
    62.4 KB · Views: 956
Last edited:
Hey everyone,

Decided to join the DIY community after a hifi-bug bited me. You know.. A friend gets a new toy and you have to be next :). So I decided to do something easy as first project and decided to go with the needles. My earlier sound system is some scott micro"hifi". It cost around 200 euros and my new project should be cheaper overall but I'm expecting better sound though.

I was scavenging my parents storage for something to use for the enclosure and found some nice already cut wood. The problem though is that it was about 9.3 or 9.4 mm wide. I was going to use for the front (part A) so the whole enclosure would be a little narrower. I was wondering how exact the measures are and can I modify them with that much without any problems with sound quality or design? If someone smart and wise could answer I would be very happy :).

As amp I decided to go with topping tp20 mk2 t-amp. In case I don't enough oomph for my apartment from it I can also get about 20 years old mystery amp free until I get something better.

-Ozz