Dear SQ Kid

I'll try again for the pic

Attachments

• sp.jpg
    sp.jpg
    21.5 KB · Views: 3,608
different coil value.

Hi there!

I would like to know if I can use a slightly different coil value?
0,56 mH is available, but only as quite expensive band-coils (or whatever they are called in english.)

What I can get access to without spending a fortune are the following values:

0,5 mH and 0,6 mH standard air wound coils 1,4 mm diameter.

By the way, would it make a noticable difference if I spent more money on the band coils, or is it more than the tangband driver deserves?

Dear Dave,

Thanks for the nice comments about the boxes.

Alas I've no idea what the frequency response of the speakers is, I do not have any instruments to measure it.

I can say that they are sounding a lot better now, after 4/5 weeks of use, the sound stage has improved and they don't sound quite so harsh as they used to.

Regards - Jem

I used a Viston FRS8 without crossover and some Dacron stuffing.
This is my first speakerproject and I am pleasantly suprised about how fast you can build them (1,5 days)
Ofcourse the finishing will take a lot longer. I'm thinking about painting them hi-gloss white for a nice contrast with the black speaker

Attachments

• needledetail.jpg
    needledetail.jpg
    66.9 KB · Views: 2,799
Dear Revell,

They look fine, one of the other members on here Keith Garratt painted his white and then he uses lacquer to varnish them.

I used the FRS8's on mine and wonder if you have any other speakers you could compare with them, it would be interesting to hear what you think.

Jem

Hi Jem,
I'm glad you like em

The only other speakers I have to compare are some very old akai three ways (they must be 30 years old by now)
So far I find the needles to sound a bit harsh on some records, I hope it will disappear since they've been playing for only 3 days
But the needles have a far superior stereo image and make female voices sound good

The akai are more forgiving to bad recordings: they still sound OK
with the needles bad recordings sound bad:xeye:

Dear Revell,

I agree with you when you say yours are a bit harsh, mine were exactly the same for the first couple of weeks.

They've settled down now and mellowed a bit, I do think that modern speakers do sound a bit harsh anyway. I had listened to a pair of Kapellmeisters that I'd made, for 10/12 years before making a pair of TQWP's and I found these to be quite lively.

Space and Eileen dictated a change and I was really pleased when I found Berndt's design, and to cap it all Eileen actually likes them as well, not only the sound and the colour but the fact that she can move them easily herself!!

I was amazed! :)

Regards - Jem