what makes a loudspeaker "full range"?

Status
This old topic is closed. If you want to reopen this topic, contact a moderator using the "Report Post" button.
Examples of full-range driver loudspeakers are Lowther, Fostex, Diatone etc. These loudspeakers try to cover the major frequency span of human voice and common musical instruments without a crossover to another driver. Wide-range drivers, those that try to cover most of the frequency span and only rely on another driver at the extremes (i.e. a subwoofer or a supertweeter) can also fit this category. Horn loudspeakers are also considered full-range. Horns can extend full-range drivers, and some horn systems attempt wide-range performance with few drivers.

EC8010 said:
The definition I have used when moving posts to this forum is that the loudspeaker should have been designed not to need a tweeter and should have its fundamental mechanical resonance <100Hz.

Would that eliminate my TQWT with FE207E and supertweeter from being considered "full-range"? Also, the Tangband W3-871S has an Fs of 110Hz which means the John Krutke designs would not meet the qualification either.

Ex-Moderator
Joined 2003
Timn8ter said:
Would that eliminate my TQWT with FE207E and supertweeter from being considered "full-range"? Also, the Tangband W3-871S has an Fs of 110Hz which means the John Krutke designs would not meet the qualification either.

Perhaps I shouldn't have been quite as precise, <120Hz is fine. I think you've answered your other point yourself by defining the tweeter as a supertweeter. In the end, the final arbiter is the threadstarter, if you start a thread and feel that the driver is being used as a full range, then that's the end of the matter. Remember, we're only moving threads because there previously wasn't a full range forum...

EC8010 said:

Perhaps I shouldn't have been quite as precise, <120Hz is fine. I think you've answered your other point yourself by defining the tweeter as a supertweeter. In the end, the final arbiter is the threadstarter, if you start a thread and feel that the driver is being used as a full range, then that's the end of the matter. Remember, we're only moving threads because there previously wasn't a full range forum...

Thank you for the clarification :)

I know this is completely off topic and apologize, but I see your from Buffalo kneadle and I'm curious as to which college you work at. I live in Amherst and work at the University of Buffalo. I'm not a college professor though, just a lowly state worker.

MEXXX

MEXXX said:
I know this is completely off topic and apologize, but I see your from Buffalo kneadle and I'm curious as to which college you work at. I live in Amherst and work at the University of Buffalo. I'm not a college professor though, just a lowly state worker.

MEXXX
I am a professor of Old Testament at Concordia Seminary at Brock University; that's in St. Catharines Ontario. Small potatoes, but I deal with GRADUATE students who cavil over every stinking detail. And if you've ever looked at the Old Testament/Hebrew scriptures, it's got a lot of details! Augh!

By the way, I just moved here this summer. I really like Buffalo-Niagara. It is a pleasant place to live if I could not continue in my beloved St. Louis.

Oh, and to return us to the regularly scheduled programming of this thread, there's an electronics store about a mile from my house in Riverside: American Electronics (?) I'm heading there today to see what they've got.

Is there a DIY club or something less formal in Buffalo?

Dave

My cup runneth over! I didn't know that I was near Clifton Park. It seems that my move to Buffalo was closer to one pole of the tri-pole DIY universe.

Those poles are: Somewhere west of Toronto, somewhere in Northern Europe, and somewhere in Eastern Australia...

Anyway, I'm being silly. The area is rich with DIYers. I went to that electronics store on Vulcan here in the northwestern corner of the city. Its name is actually Radio Equipment Corporation, and it is AWESOME. The only thing they didn't have was a variac, which is why I went. So I bought a set of alligator clips and promised to come back.

Transistors, capacitors, resistors, shrink tubing--shrink tape--pots, switches, used drivers, kits, and a whole warehouse besides. Oh! It was magnificent!

Wow...I'm flush with excitement. I need to finish up my current full range speaker project and get on with my BrianGT Gainclone with its Nuuklear reactor preamp.

Willikers!

Dave

Status
This old topic is closed. If you want to reopen this topic, contact a moderator using the "Report Post" button.