Affordable, good and *available* full range drivers?

Status
This old topic is closed. If you want to reopen this topic, contact a moderator using the "Report Post" button.
Does JBL make any wide range or full range drivers that are available to DIYers?

Yes and no depending on how you define "wide range". Their 2'' compression drivers like the 2446 could be operated between 800 Hz - 20 kHz. But you will have to use top-octave compensation for this and personally I would use a supertweeter like the 2405 or 2402 with any 2'' driver.
And their (now obsolete) 2118 8'' midrange can be used between 80-7000 Hz although I would certainly not operate it that high.

Take a look at http://www.jblpro.com/pages/components/componts.htm for their line of (IMO awesome) drivers.

To be perfectly honest I can not see why anyone would want to use a large "full range" driver like a 12''. It would beam like mad and breakup distortion up high would be quite nasty. Transient response would be close to non-existent. Although I am by no means a single-driver fan I can see the beauty and simplicity of a single Fostex 4'' driver in a little box for a nice small system. But a single 12'' or 15''? No way! :rolleyes:

Cheers
/Magnus

diyAudio Editor
Joined 2001
Paid Member
Those JBL 12 " coax drivers are interesting. Wonder how they sound... The graphs don't look so great, but maybe they are just being more honest than most. (OK, they use a crossover so maybe they don't qualify as full range)- wonder what they cost
and how they sound vis vis the 8" Radians w/ horns at $300 ea.

Swedish Chef said:
Their 2'' compression drivers like the 2446 could be operated between 800 Hz - 20 kHz. But you will have to use top-octave compensation for this and personally I would use a supertweeter like the 2405 or 2402 with any 2'' driver.
I agree about using a S/T above a 2" CD. Roll a 2445/2446 off gently at about 7-8k and you'll be happier. The response does technically go high, but it sounds really bad. Otherwise it's a great driver for home use or PA.

Variac said:
Those JBL 12 " coax drivers are interesting. Wonder how they sound... The graphs don't look so great, but maybe they are just being more honest than most. (OK, they use a crossover so maybe they don't qualify as full range)- wonder what they cost
and how they sound vis vis the 8" Radians w/ horns at $300 ea.

Coax is an option. Many rave about SuperHammer12. There are also offerings from Eminence and Adire Audio.

diyAudio Editor
Joined 2001
Paid Member
I would put my money on the Radians- but it's a lot of money!!:(

The JBL's and 8" Radians are made for ceiling installation by pro sound installers. That's not too impressive, but what we usually hear with the feeble distorted muzac aren't using the higher quality drivers such as these. Radian makes 12" and 15" coax's too

Kuei recommends the best Seas coax drivers, but they are low efficiency - not based on pro gear so probably aren't best for low power....only about $130ea

Selenium makes 12 & 15" coax. PHL makes one with a dome tweeter but I heard that they aren't anything special. If pAudio or Beyma make some they might be well worth looking into- some of their horn drivers are supposed to be quite good. The trouble with pro gear is that there are so many manufacturers.........

Continuing the quest for a full range driver...

I have got rather excited about trying Bert Doppenberg's TQWP speakers using 2x 4-inch drivers:

http://pmillett.addr.com/tqwp.htm

I am thinking of using Fostex FE103E or 107E for the front drivers.
Two questions:

a) Their specifications are *almost* identical, but is there an advantage of one over the other in this design?

b) Can anyone suggest a 4" suitable bass driver for the rear unit? Or perhaps even better, what specifications should I be looking at to select one for myself?

Cheers! :)

As an afterthought, I believe there is a new Tangband 4" driver on the market. Can anyone comment on their experience with it?

Status
This old topic is closed. If you want to reopen this topic, contact a moderator using the "Report Post" button.