CHN-50 for line array

Hello,

I'm the happy builder of two Jordan configurations:
- A modified VTL (folded for wall mount)
- A modified MLTL31 (also folded, square face)

... and I love this speaker.

Well, I loved it as the first pair of JX92S died during a party and was replaced by EAD100HD which do not have the same mids.
Since this accident I cut the VTLs at 80hz and a 12.5 inch sub takes care of low frequencies.

For a reason I don't know I'm dreaming of a pair of line arrays, that go down to something between 80Hz and 120Hz. I love the accurate placement of the Jordans and would like to try a config that gives a wider soundstage, yet with accurate placement.

I tried the JRX6 in the past and they were fantastic, but as single speaker they also died from over use.

I looking after the Markaudio CHN-50 for cost reasons (12 speakers each side), did nobody tried it ?
Will it be better than the VTLs ?

There are used everyday with TV, and HiFi listening is mostly for concerts (I like it like at the concert, so loud)

Many thanks for advise!

François

Last edited:
frugal-phile™
Joined 2001
Paid Member
When i first saw the CHN50 i thot about an array. Be nicer if it had a rectangular frame to get them closer, but they should work well. 12 druvers/side is more like half an arrary thou. You are trying to get to something like 70% of the ceiling height to properly bring the ceiling and floor into play.

dave

Did you already build your sketch ?

As Dave said. However, a variation with the P7HD was built a few months ago (a design request from the UK distributor) & I gather the builder is very happy -they're currently giving service as both a hifi system & recording monitor. The CHN50 variation should be 'better' in some ways as it's a longer line.

frugal-phile™
Joined 2001
Paid Member
I was trying to forget that one. ;) Hopefully FH3 and the others have made up a little for it.

The frustration of those led to the brilliance of the current FH family, so a worthwhile struggle.

For those that don’t know, FH3 happened in a week. Initial design build (didn’t work), 2nd iteration worked fantastically and is the FH Mk3 we see today.

BTW those particualr prototypes are up for sale (not by me).

Frugal-Horns and Viech Horns with 5 pair of Full Range Drivers | Classifieds for Jobs, Rentals, Cars, Furniture and Free Stuff

dave

Too bad that CHN-50 isn't a 4 bolt model...

984556d1632068243-towers-25-driver-range-line-array-template-lock-jpg

984557d1632068243-towers-25-driver-range-line-array-hand-tools-jpg

984739d1632127274-towers-25-driver-range-line-array-driver-2-jpg

;)

frugal-phile™
Joined 2001
Paid Member
Aren’t these 2 drivers considerably different in price?

Like to like, you would have to compare Alpair 5.2/3 (or i hear there is a MAOP version coming). Still con’t trim the frame unfortunately.

The only way i see to sort the CHN50 would be to get them to make some for you that had rectangular baskets. Probably enuff for 20 x (30x2) arrays. With the right baskets one would not need to do 60 cutouts in the baffle.

dave

PS: I fully expect these to smoke the drivers you have in your array now :^)

Once again, I seem to recall that very early model of the Alpair 5 or 6 had a rectangular cast resin frame that I think would have lent itself very nicely to such arrays, but very likely the market demand wasn’t there for such a design, and IINM, one of Mark’s objectives is to reduce as much as possible the use of materials.

frugal-phile™
Joined 2001
Paid Member
You could indeed. And they are smaller. Don’t go as low or fit in as small a box. 4.5-5 litres per driver sealed. You’d have to EQ if you wanted much extention below 100 Hz.

Or OB and XO to a midbass array. You could get about 80mm spacing. Or rear mount on an aluminum baffle and you could get them even a bit closer.

Vrs about 104mm for CHN-50, that is a significant difference.

dave