Coral Holey Baskets

For the last 5 years I have been harvesting Sony TC500/500a tape decks for speakers and transformers. I think the time has come to create something from the parts I have accumulated. I have plenty of ideas I would like to explore for the transformers, but I currently have 8 pairs (16 speakers) of Coral holey basket drivers and am wondering what those with far greater knowledge than me would do with them, given the chance. I have looked over the numerous past postings, but could not really find an example of anyone with a large number of drivers. I can certainly produce multiple different speakers, each using one, or two, pairs, but wondered if that would be a waste of a rare opportunity. Thank you in advance.

Reactions: 1 user
Hope you could fully utilize the spare parts and so the souls of the TC500As will rest in peace. ;)

These are quite musically engaging, tiny yet big sounding drivers, quite astonishing :)

Don't put them in a box...they will lose the magic as we experienced, against our big open baffles. Having that said, would love to try them on these boxes below, perhaps you could consider... no, they likely don't work well in a line array structure given their relatively large size, and many units required to form a practical line...I thought there was a guy from Brookyln NY that posted his four Holey arrays here before.

Btw, for the musically engaging experience, with our limited exposure, few notches above that would be the Altec 755C, which is about 75% of an Altec 755A.... and WE...further up...don't know what's in between... (haven't A/B our Flat 5 II yet)

1) double bass by hm
hm double bass horn - mini trombone

2) Silbatone 755A box
JE Labs: A visit to J-Rob's and the Silbatone 755A box by Dr. Stefano Bae

3) Mini Karlsonator
Mini Karlsonator (0.53X) with Dual TC9FDs

4) mini OB with assisting woofer

Have fun! ;)

frugal-phile™
Joined 2001
Paid Member
Those Tapecorders are loaded with good parts. Lots of opportunities for SE 6V6/EL84 class amplifiers.

With the Holey Baskets, you first need to figure out if any of them are really midTweeters because the surround on these have a tendency to stiffen up. 15 years f trying to figure out hoe to fix that have not produced any results. Best done by measuring them.

Also given the age the parameters are likely all over the place.

These drivers tend to be so rare that very few people every have more than a couple pairs.

We have played with singles or pairs, for as many as you have some creativity,

We found Aiko to get the most out of a single driver, but given a suitble driver would work in Frugel-Horn Mk3 (because it is tuneable, more agjustability to match the specific driver, and Twin FH3. With data they could work in miniTower and have been successfully put into mSize Fonken.

Knowing how much they have aged
If the surrounds have stuiffened they need bass help, Cal did a box doing such (plus a superTweeter) in an OB mid-style thing. I have built a few OBs and am not a big fan.

Pictures?

dave

It certainly sounds like the next step is to measure the parameters for each one and group them. I recently purchased a DATS from Parts-Express so I will put it to work. I did look at the tread where the use of multiple drivers was discussed, but the photos seemed to be lost.

I have recalled that I have a Madisound BK-12m cabinet with a different driver in it. I was thinking that might be worth a try. I would be very interested in any options.

Again thank you for taking the time to respond. It is much appreciated. I grew up in Victoria, and had my first experiences with hifi at Sound Hounds around 1980.

frugal-phile™
Joined 2001
Paid Member
I was at Sound Hounds 1976-1981, so a good chance we have met.

DATS will be fine for getting a handle on matching, T/S data will not necessarily be overly useful.

It is worth a try in the BK-12m. Scott designed it specifically for FE126, but it is worth trying.

Using a pair of fingers carefully press down on the cones, pick the pair that move the most easily.

dave

Here is a set of T/S measurements on one Holey that my friend done, for your reference. :D

Attachments

• 20211125_102552.jpg
    20211125_102552.jpg
    112.9 KB · Views: 278
  • 20211125_101127.jpg
    20211125_101127.jpg
    1 MB · Views: 279
@planet10 This is a bit of a well-worn topic (enclosures for Holey Basket drivers), but I have a pair in the mail arriving today...opinions are a little varied on best enclosures for them. Would it be worth my while taking something made for the FE103a or the FE103 Sol and using it for them? Was thinking the mFonken might be a one I'd try...

Hi

I’ve always wanted to hear a pair of these magical Coral Holey Baskets Drivers.

@jschroed
If there is a chance I could borrow a pair ? That would be awesome, I know it’s a long shot but hey it’s worth a try. They would be operated above 250Hz on an open baffle with bass support. Please PM me if interested.

Thanks
Eric