Alpair MAOP 10.2

correct, for testing you need perfect voltage source with Rout very low..

for listening and enjoying the sound, like mentioned is different point of view :)

sometimes some combination with highish Rout (tube OTL - single ended- few ohms) and some horns (Fostex FE103en) produce spectacular results in combination

As I noted above, stating that a low output impedance amplifier is 'needed' is in fact an over-generalisation, as it is not applicable to loudspeakers which were specifically designed from the outset to be used with high output impedance amplifiers. Failure to do so, without taking additional corrective measures, is just as problematic as driving a loudspeaker designed for use with a [near] pure voltage source with, say, a typical SET amplifier.

For example, the old Fostex FExx6E and FExx6En drive units were expected to be used with relatively high output impedance amplifiers (confirmed to me when I worked with one of the people who designed them in Hong Kong a couple of years ago). The same applies to a large percentage of low Q wideband drive units, since they would either be over-damped in the LF without significant bass-horn loading (which in some cases may be physically larger than practical for many users), and / or suffer significant non-linearity in the lower midband due to the driver's innate mass-corner frequency being above the practical upper corner frequency for most bass horn loads, without running into excessive group delay. This is the point - particularly when working with drive units of this type, high quality design is an euphemism (or should be) for system design.

Last edited:
correct, for testing you need perfect voltage source with Rout very low..

for listening and enjoying the sound, like mentioned is different point of view :)

sometimes some combination with highish Rout (tube OTL - single ended- few ohms) and some horns (Fostex FE103en) produce spectacular results in combination

I would like to try one of Nelson Pass’s First Watt F-1J (or build a clone) with my MAOP 10.2s one day. To experience just what a current source amp brings to the full range driver equation.

Reactions: 1 user
I'm just saying Barcelona. Do you know which CD I am referring to?
It sounds so good .. I get tears in my eyes. How beautiful it sounds. I can see them in front of me when I close my eyes. Of course it's like they are there and they sing for just me.
Love it!
I get a little sentimental.
So wonderful to feel that feeling.
Dave .. Thanks again.

Last edited:
I would have paid twice as much if I had heard them before. It beats everything I've heard.
Crystal clear.
Have no idea how long you have to listen before they have reached full potential. But I can say that they sound better every hour. 15 hours now.

Last edited:
Sitting and listening to disc after disc.
Hard to stop. Everyone sounds different. Pinpoint on everything that happens in the sound image.
Was this how it would sound. I get the feeling that I'm wearing my headphones.
But there you can not hear the depth of the sound image but left and right.
A10.2Maop has opened up a whole new world for me.
New dimensions.

Thanks danny.

Do you know of any others who manufacture speaker elements that have been tested and individually fitted as a pair?
I have not seen anywhere more than Maop. Completely superior, I think.
Why do no other brands sell this?
Scanspeak, Seas and other manufacturers shine with their absence.
We who think it should be an obvious choice.
Thank you Mark for giving us this option.