Full range mixing “cubes”

I would like to add a pair of full range diy mixing speakers to my editing setup for the usual reasons of good midrange detail and a revealing listen to my mix. Almost every thread that recommends drivers (Fostex, Mark Audio, radio shack ...) turn up no longer in production. I prefer a paper cone driver for this build.

What do you recommend that is currently available?

Thanks,

George

I would say the CHN110 is a good driver like that. Just like the P it's not bright, and it gives a good detail, more than the original in my impression (i know the original, but did not put them side by side). In a 12L sealed (the original cubes were closed) you got a good response to 60Hz.

The 10P is also good, but hard to find these days in the US i hear (but here in Europe common availeble). The low response will be less altough but the case can be smaller if that matters (70Hz F6 in 9L).

If you want to stay close to the original, you need a 5" high qts low xmax paper cone, something like the Visaton WS 13E. But that won't sound detailed or good and will roll of at 100Hz down and 10kHz up, just like the original (5" CTS SR10-8 driver) didn't. It was used at that time to check how it sounded on cheap bad sounding systems.

frugal-phile™
Joined 2001
Paid Member
Yes, forgot about CHN-110. A really good driver and not that expensive,

attachment.php

Looks like about a 10 liitre sealedbox for max flat response.

dave

Attachments

• CHN-110-sealed.png
    CHN-110-sealed.png
    21.1 KB · Views: 561
Has anyone tried the GRS 4FR-8, it’s a replacement for the original Pioneer driver used in the Auratone cubes? It’s a low cost driver but some reviews claim that it’s a faithful reproduction of the Pioneer original.

This project has me torn between my usual quest for high quality drivers like Seas et al and something more faithful to the original in this case which apparently is a low price point.

George

Last edited:
Has anyone tried the GRS 4FR-8, it’s a replacement for the original Pioneer driver used in the Auratone cubes? It’s a low cost driver but some reviews claim that it’s a faithful reproduction of the Pioneer original.

This project has me torn between my usual quest for high quality drivers like Seas et al and something more faithful to the original in this case which apparently is a low price point.

George

The original is not the pioneer. That driver was only used later when the original CTS SR10 became unavaileble.