problems with my vented full range design (Tang band W5 2143)

Hi, i am new here and new to making speakers though i've worked as a producer mixing engineer for over 10 years.

Now i have decided to design a small pair of speakers based on the Tang band W5-2143 . I've calculated everything on WinISD to get a 9,3liters box with a tuned frequency of 57hz and a vented port of 20x112x230mm.

The problem is that the speaker behaves the exact same way than closed and when i measure the inside of the vent i am getting a boost at around 100hz and not close to the "tuned frequency of 57hz"
The vent is places in the left side of the speaker at the bottom.

Now the box is a little odd because i want it attached like a frame on a wall :
interior dimensions are 262x262x150mm and i am using 19mm mdf which makes it 300x300x186mm

Anyone has any light to shine?
My next try will be to do a round vent. see where that takes me...

Thanks
Manu

the cabinet is to small, you need 18L vented for this response to have the best response i think. In this small cabinet the response goes down at 74.5Hz as the cabinet is too small for this driver. A round vent won't change it, you really need to double the cabinet size.

Thank you guys,

here is the response i am getting at listening position with and without the vent (in orange). I can clearly see that the vent isn't working properly.

I am trying to understand what you said Planet10 about this : "Extention in the small box will be F10 at about 50 Hz" what does it mean?

Thanks Waxx for your input, you are right that a bigger box will work but i believe i should be able to extend the bass response regardless? Or How did you conclude that the cabinet is too small for this driver. How is that calculated? I've seen smaller speakers vented deliver much more bass.

Thanks for your help, i'm trying to make this work :)

Manu

photo1630763011.jpeg

Last edited:
Alright guys, ill get some neoprene tape tomorrow for the hardware store, might be the issue there.
What do i need to do an impedance sweep? i am running the REW, i built a quick omni measuring mic, so i can keep track of my steps.
Maybe i can build whats needed for the sweep?

Manu