DavidLouis VX8 wide band

After going through some 7 or 8 wide bands,, I finally hit on the speaker I feel is the wide band to beat.
I madea series of YT vids, you can hear everything I have to say about the perf of this speaker.
Some tech geek in china knows how to build a very musical high fidelity speaker.

I had the Voxativ AC1A, has a series of **pill* style neodymium magnets,, = what a piece of ______, Fill in the blank.
Lost $900+ on that *thing*,
paper cone = thin paper, zero bass, mids PUKEEE, no highs , sensitivity , at best 82db.

This DavidLouis will put the AER to the shootout,,and perhaps come out top dawg gun slinger

cabinet 30 inch X 10 inch X 10 inch = 50 liters, 2 inch thick attic glass fiber insulation stretched along back top and bottom.
Bass 10/10
Midrange 10/10
Highs 9/10.

DavidLouis VX8, Perfection - YouTube

If it's anything like the DavidLouis ribbon tweeters

~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~

I have a pair of DL Ribbon's sitting on my shelf, you are right = worthless trash.
The DL VX8 is the WBer to beat,,
Can AER beat out the DLVX*..
This shootout will never take place, as i don't have a extra $5G's++ in my pocket.
Trust me, you can hear the YT vid, its the real deal.
~~~~ Or are you deaf??~~~~~~
Cant you hear the YT upload??

I plan to order the
DL Be Nd tweeter , in 4 weeks, add a bit of sheen to the DLVX8.
If you go DLVX6, you dont needa tweeter, has stunning highs.
But you will need a bass unit.
I am running my Seas W18's along with the DLVX8 for added punch in bass.
Though the VX8 packs a bass punch all by itself.

A couple of points come to mind re the above.

-'Shootouts' may be entertaining, but they are also generally rather meaningless except in a general 'he prefers, she prefers' sense. Which is perfectly fine so long as that's as far as you take it. Anything more profound than that goes up in smoke unless you are dealing with precisely the same type of drive unit which has been designed to the same design goals.

-You don't mention here which AER drive unit you are referring to -there are currently six different production models, the BD1, BD2 and BD3 respectively. The 'standard' non 'B' units have much more powerful rated motor power / much higher electromechanical damping: Q is about 1/3 that claimed for the VX8. The 'B' series have the motors & damping backed off -still more than the VX8, but are closer, with the BD1 B being the nearest of the bunch based on rated data for all the drivers in question, albeit with a lower Fs and of course a nominal 16ohm coil which needs to be considered in the context of the driving amplifier. Since you say you don't actually own any AER drivers though, it might be a little premature to speculate on whether one is 'better' than the other. ;)

-Personally, having listened to the Youtube video, I can't really see what the fuss is about. Part of that is possibly due to the poor sound quality of youtube videos in general, with all the well-known caveats involved in these. Trying to 'hear through' that though, I'm not sure I can hear anything particularly special to me, but there do appear to be characteristics I hear with many moderate sensitivity whizzer cone 8in widebands. YMMV as always though and if you're happy: great. That's exactly what it's all about, and I'm delighted you've found something that does you such good service.

Last edited:
my YT stuff with an old Zoom camera with X-Y is only partially revealing at best.

with the little box below, there's generic xover - the cabinet's curved reflector may be doing more harm than good. There is no bass. Impact is ok for an 8. It seems to take a strong 10" to get some semblance of a drumkit. The compression driver is so so and the analog recordind not as good as a solid digital recording.

I would like to do a 10 inch two way with K-tube internally mounted and curved upper reflector.

Karlson Coupler with Eminence Delta Pro 8A speaker - YouTube

For a fullrange -below, a 1772 - the cut is form Alan Parson's Soundcheck - every set of headphones makes it sound different.

High Aspect Karlson coupler with Tangband W8-1772 - Saxophone - YouTube

There are cheap Zoom Ambiosonic recorders now - dunno how that might be used at YouTube vs stereo (?)

A couple of points come to mind re the above.

-'Shootouts' may be entertaining, but they are also generally rather meaningless except in a general 'he prefers, she prefers' sense. Which is perfectly fine so long as that's as far as you take it. Anything more profound than that goes up in smoke unless you are dealing with precisely the same type of drive unit which has been designed to the same design goals.

-You don't mention here which AER drive unit you are referring to -there are currently six different production models, the BD1, BD2 and BD3 respectively. The 'standard' non 'B' units have much more powerful rated motor power / much higher electromechanical damping: Q is about 1/3 that claimed for the VX8. The 'B' series have the motors & damping backed off -still more than the VX8, but are closer, with the BD1 B being the nearest of the bunch based on rated data for all the drivers in question, albeit with a lower Fs and of course a nominal 16ohm coil which needs to be considered in the context of the driving amplifier. Since you say you don't actually own any AER drivers though, it might be a little premature to speculate on whether one is 'better' than the other.

~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~
True i have not heard AER in person, in real life.
I am guessing the DLVX8 will put any of the 6 modles up toa very close shootout.
**6 modles,, each sounds different**
= Aint buying
Sorry
all Voxativ have a characteristic sound image /performance
Same iwth all 6 AER, **Signature sound character**, all sound extremely close.

My tech geek claims **You did not hear the Voxativ,,as you did not build the proper horn cabinet***."?Baloney

I passed this same argument over with Josh at madisound,, he agrees with me.
A Vox ina 12 inch x 12 inch x 12 inch, will have nearly exact sound as in their $5K cabinet.
I am not convinced about AER EITHER.
I've read their web descript,, Dont like anything I'mk reading
This TBW82145 just arrived. In the same 12x12x12 cabinet,
WOWWW
Mirrors!!!! the DLVX8, almost as twin brothers,,
And YET!!
Both are completely dif designs. well almost dif, same super heavy magnet,,
Not sure if VX8 is Nd or Fe.. Seller wont say.
I think his VX6 is Neo Dymium and the VX8 is Fe. Does not matter
The sound is
World Class Super High Fidelity
The TBW82145 = world class super high fidelity, Both will stay as part of my wide band speaker experiement.

Just unreal.

YT compressed??
What do you mean??
The video tells exactly how they sound in real life.

I'm not buying into this idea **YT vids do not reveal how a speaker will sound**

Tang band W82145 Super High Fidelity - YouTube

my YT stuff with an old Zoom camera with X-Y is only partially revealing at best.

I'll agree 100% with this.
At least you get a rough idea,, Then i back up whats going on with my review/commentary.
Trust me, These 2 WBers are top dawgs.
Superior to AER??
Who knows, at 5G's++ I have zero interest.
Vox I tried and lost 900 in a few hours, Lucky they sold off.
Vox will not give me a part refund on the duds.
I thought 900 was fair refund. They employa super paper thin cone = zero bass, . Mids?? what mids,, Highs , where>???

YT compressed??
What do you mean??

Freddi was referring to the compression driver (Dayton 250P) in the speaker featured in his video.

For the rest:

True i have not heard AER in person, in real life.
I am guessing the DLVX8 will put any of the 6 modles up toa very close shootout.
**6 modles,, each sounds different**
= Aint buying
Sorry

OK, so we have established that you are simply guessing.

If we look at this from a factual basis, there are six different AER models -or to be specific, there are two versions of each driver: the BD1 and BD1B, the BD2 and BD2B, and the BD3 and BD3B. The 'standard' units, i.e. the BD1, BD2 and BD3 have large motors and a relatively high level of electromechanical damping, which is shown in their T/S parameters. The BD1B, BD2B and BD3B by contrast are quite different to the 'standard' versions: they have the motor power backed off and reduced electromechanical damping. As a result, these 'B' models have very different low frequency load characteristics to the 'standard' version, i.e. they require very differently sized and tuned enclosures. For example, if you dropped a BD1 into a box designed for a BD1B, it will sound rather different in the low end in particular because the alignment would be totally different. Since the AER drivers are otherwise fairly similar however, they will likely follow roughly similar response trends and sound reasonably similar as a result above the low frequency range. Possibly the pricier units will have a little more output at the top end in particular relative to the cheaper models, but that's speculative since AER's FR data isn't terribly good.

My tech geek claims **You did not hear the Voxativ,,as you did not build the proper horn cabinet***."?Baloney

I recall you mentioning your 'tech geek' elsewhere. Are those his exact words, with full context, or are they your interpretation of what he said? If those are his exact words, with full context (i.e. none), then it is borderline nonsense. If not, then it depends on what he actually said & meant. If you didn't load the driver effectively, then the LF alignment would be poor, and a poor load can also, to a lesser extent, affect the midrange & HF through undesirable modulation of the suspension etc. To be honest, the Voxativ horns I've seen appear to be somewhat undersized for the the driver load characteristics based on the data I have, but it somewhat depends on design objectives.

I passed this same argument over with Josh at madisound,, he agrees with me.
A Vox ina 12 inch x 12 inch x 12 inch, will have nearly exact sound as in their $5K cabinet.

I don't know what their '$5K' cabinet is since I don't keep up with commercial pricing, but if it's one of their smaller boxes, then sure, you'll be close if tuning is similar, although a cube is better avoided to reduce standing waves.

This TBW82145 just arrived. In the same 12x12x12 cabinet,
WOWWW
Mirrors!!!! the DLVX8, almost as twin brothers,,
And YET!!
Both are completely dif designs.

Welcome to the world of engineering. If they have similar midband & HF trends, they will certainly sound quite similar, assuming neither is over-driven. While their published T/S data is somewhat different, the balances of Fs, Q and Vas are likely to converge to a modest extent, so if stuffed into the same box you refer to, you'd expect a degree of similarity to the lower end also. Glad you're enjoying them. :)

Last edited:
I recall you mentioning your 'tech geek' elsewhere. Are those his exact words, with full context, or are they your interpretation of what he said? If those are his exact words, with full context (i.e. none), then it is borderline nonsense. If not, then it depends on what he actually said & meant.

~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~
Yes quote of his exact mantra..
And he will not back off.
He will not agree with Josh over at Madisound.
**every driver will exhibit a certian characteristic voicing** regardless whether sitting on my desk top , in a 12x12x12 cabinet or one of AER's $$$$$ Horn cabinets.
This is the point I was trying to make with my tech geek (very well known, can't mention his name as he has name ofa company he sold, and rights issue)), Josh and I are in the opposite camp.
The DLVX8 and TBW82145 will sound somwhat same sitting ona desk and any size cabinet.
Of course a cabinet complere adds bass fq's response.

The Vox AC1A, has nothing,, My 1963 transisitor radio had better fq's.
The cone material is some sort of papyrus caligraphy paper.
= complete trash.
I'm guessing AER also employs this super thin paper.
I cant tell as they do NOT mention the material used.
IMHO all 6 AER's will have a ~~SIMILIAR~~~ voicing.
Not interested.
Too expenisve.
What I am hearing in my DLVX8 + TBW82145 makes very beautiful music, = midrange is perfect.

I have doubts when I ordered the TBW82145, if it would work in as a second wide band in my system
= Dual Wbers.
Like speakers stacked.
As the DL yellow cone 6 did not work out ,, the bass soft, nice, highs not rolled off, it was the mids that were a bit stressed = sounded bad with the DLVX8.
So I ordered the TBW82145, based on what I heard on several YT vids and a audiogon member said the 2145 was superior to both the 1808 and 1772.
And this proved correct./
The TBW82145 marry's very well with the superb DLVX8. Intergration is perfect.
See it is possble to run dual WB's in one speaker system.

I am about to order a DL Be Nd( = neo dymium) tweet,

Yes I am aware of cone filtering/fq cancelation drawbacks

When i had the DavidLouis yellow cone mixed paper 6, the mids were a bit less high fidelity, well actually not same level of midrange as the DavidLouis VX8,, so what happened??
The DL6's stressed mids, mixed with the super clean VX8 mids,,and the result was **crappy midrange**.
The ONLY way to intergrate 2 WBers in one system is to have both drivers mids to be as close to equal , thus both intergrate perfectly, Bass/highs does not matter. One can be superior bass, the other superior highs. Its midrange where both drivers have to be equal, = zero distortion = zero coloration.
Both the DLVX8 and TB2145 both meet this criterion

I have no plans intergratinga 3rd WB.
These 2 are quite enough.

But... What about Line Source AND Line Array Loudspeakers? - YouTube

No, but I'm not stupid either. A YT recording made with a camera tells me nothing at all. They look like little Lowthers, and I've never liked those due to the midrange shoutiness of that design.

~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~
OK I'll accept a YT vid only gibes a hint, nothing more.
But a hint = better than nothing.
I;'ve reconsidered after another test session.
Dual wide bands will not work ina system. Either 1 or the other...
The DavidLouis wins out by a slight edge in the midrange. but not by much.
Both are 1st class wide bands.

Agree Lowther, Fostex both had issues in the critical midrange.
These new developements from DavidLouis and Tang Band, have over come the crappy midrange of earlier designs.
You will not hear shoutyness, coloration, distortion in either the DavidLouis VX8 or the Tang Band 2145
Both offer exceptional midrange.
Both are ~~Super High Fidelity ~~ speakers = SHF.

So the Tang Band will go back , and will give partsexprsss a 20% restock fee.. My policy on any return.

The chinese audiophile in speaker choice is wayyyy ahead of the USA audiophile.
The chinese audiophile employs wide bands as speakers of choice.
Wide bands , speakers of the 21st C audiophile
2nd to none.

I’ve experienced that so many times where the sound was dubbed over.

I think it’s safe to say this video was the real thing, that voice coil rub or whatever it was, would be pretty hard to imitate any other way. The construction of the drivers seems quite poor. The midrange does otherwise sound very nice from what I can gather in the video, but it’s scratching like a dog with fleas.

Just to introduce a note of caution here: I recall several reports about highly dissatisfied buyers of some of these cheap Aliexpress units, in terms of sound quality, consistency (or lack thereof), more-or-less fictional published data etc. Since it's usually rather difficult to return units, and a number of companies advertising wares there appear and vanish fairly quickly, I would suggest caveat emptor is kept firmly in mind. No doubt there are sometimes some very good examples, but a degree of caution and thorough research is strongly advisable in the circumstances.