DavidLouis VX8 wide band

delightful respite from reality

Dual DavidLouis has opened up the nuances of Allan Pettersson's symphonies,, as you know music connects us to a inner dimension which is where reality is begins.
Allan Pettersson wow, gotta thank the tech guy in china for delivering the goods.
Very well balanced full range.
Fostex? No thanks

Nobody is 'attacking' you. However, I for one have a problem with people claiming I & others have said the exact opposite of what was in fact the case, multiple times, in fairly blunt language. You lied, simple as that, and I called you on it. You have done this multiple times now, inventing false statements and claiming others have made them: I have mentioned this to you on several occasions but the message doesn't yet appear to have sunk in.

For the rest, as has also been noted repeatedly, most people here will be very happy that you have built something you are apparently so pleased with. But, in a similar vein to the above, if you make statements that are technical nonsense, you should expect them to be pointed out, lest you mislead other people.

Paul: What you wrote about SET amps in your video description posted November 29th is totally wrong. Apart from that, as has been said before, you are not using full range speaker without crossovers. You are using 4 (?) way speakers with random mechanical and electrical filters. Your videos sound horrible.
If you have nothing else try to listen to some music over your phone or your laptop speakers to have some sort of benchmark.
You keep talking about classical music and your handle is "mozartfan". That rarely comes out. Would you mind posting a video of your system playing e.g. Mozart's Krönungsmesse? That would tell soemthing about "dynamics".

Last edited by a moderator:
Last edited:
after the first page here, I thought this would die rather quickly. I left.
I popped in on p.7, was amazed that this was continuing...

Just had to peek, and noticed this is now on p.31, and still going? Couldn't believe it.
You guys have a lot of time to spare!

I'll come back (and read the exact same bather) in another 30 pages or so.
Happy holidays!

Well, at least the bit about old Baker Selhurst Radio was useful. :p

That being said -there are a few genuinely useful aspects buried in here, albeit not exactly what the OP is doing, or for the reasons he is doing it. ;) Still, they're related, so in the interests of trying to offer something (particularly for anyone reading who is relatively new to the subject) in an otherwise fairly worthless thread:

1/ Twin wideband drive units can work fine, if properly implemented. With larger types, as GM points out, it is advisable to roll one off above the baffle step frequency. With small units you can sometimes get away without, but this will depend on the driver in question, its baseline FR & how it's implemented.

2/ Bipoles, and other types with offset units, e.g. one forward, & one upfiring, can work quite well if you want a semi-omni type presentation. Quadrupoles can also be surprisingly effective, albeit they need lots of space & a fairly forgiving room acoustic. You can play with filters for all these of course.

3/ Thorsten's DDDL idea is worth keeping in mind: http://community.fortunecity.ws/rivendell/xentar/1179/theory/dddllqd/dddllqd.html
I do have a semi-critique (not 'criticism') of it, which might help practical implementation. If you take this approach, I suggest some form of low-pass is still implemented on the larger unit (hinted at but not really developed on the link) so the midrange & HF are preserved relatively intact. I'd also be careful not to go too far with dissimilarities; a 3in wideband & an 18in woofer isn't likely to be a happy combination even if the bald mathematical hybridisation of the T/S values works out on paper.

4/ Something a few of us lost souls who have a liking for 1970s era quadraphonics occasionally play with (apologies to those who know -for the innocents, stick with it a moment) was what we called 'width stereo'. It probably has a bunch of other names, but being a closet quad fan, it's what I use. Four speakers: two wired on the left, two on the right channel. Absolutely lousy, as you'd expect, if you stick the extra pair of speakers behind you, as you'll lose all depth perspective in a stereo signal. However, if you move the extra pair of speakers forward, so they're to either side of the normal pair & a bit further out, it starts getting more interesting. Very crude as is, but not without some merit. Assuming you aren't in a position to low-pass the additional speakers, it tends to work best if you can play the second pair at a lower amplitude. When I played with this, I used to run a tape-out into a cheap integrated & power the extra speakers that way. Certainly not perfect, but a fun thing to play with and if well implemented, it can actually make a bit of a case for itself on certain recordings, especially those with a strong stereo image. A slightly refined variation has some support from Linkwitz with his little Watsons, where in essence he's tweaked the positioning & amplitude, & low-passed them: WATSON-Stereo_Expansion_Loudspeakers Attached drawing, modified from an old sketch of different matrixed wiring schemes, shows the layout in its basic form.

Attachments

• Width stereo modified.gif
    Width stereo modified.gif
    10.3 KB · Views: 119
Last edited by a moderator:
Bаkеrs Sеlhurst Rаdiо (made in England)
20 Hz – 25000Hz

Interesting! Wasn't aware of them: Unda-Apparatebau, Convida AG; Munchen manufacturer in D, rad8

FWIW, based on then contemporary W.E., RCA, etc., drivers, this was a ~ 2nd order roll-off, so assume a real world ~ 40 - 12.5 kHz nominally 'flat enough' for high/matching impedance amps and at least the various 12" RCA design ones I've owned only had ~ 3/4" dia. VCs to keep it pistonic over the AM/FM/shortwave radio console's BW.

In short, we can easily do this today, just not a big enough market to justify it.

Last edited:
1/ Twin wideband drive units can work fine

~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~
Well glad someone around here sees at least something good in what I;'m doing.
May not measure up to testings, graphs.
Thats not my concern.
I left all the figuruing to the tech guy in china who designed the drivers.

Look all I am saying is that I know what i heard with the DLVX8 and then added ina DL W4 yellow cone Nd magnet with Diana Krall.

It was revealing, her talents sparkled more with duals.
This is why I took it 1 step further to a DLVX6.
The Pettersson symphoniesd have more emotional content.
This has been my goal past 40 yrs to finda speaker that can reveal the inner emotions of my favorite classical music.
Success.

End of my search.

Once the Defy has new tubes I will upload a new video and let you guys know how it sounds witha PP amplifier.
Thanks for all your ideas, and suggestions these past few months.
I've learned alot here.
If we don't chat before xmas. want to wish all the DIY members a happy holiday and a very prosperous new year.

Basically the elves were tracking all over my brain and it was they who made up this design..

DavidLouis worlds finest full midrange driver.
Drive safe.

Whew, a lot to unpack and decode in that last missive, but in the spirit of your expressed bonhomie; yes, best wishes to you for joy and prosperity in the coming season(s) and year(s).

Congrats; as it seems your Chinese tech guy has delivered almost all the requisite goods for your pending arrival at penultimate audio nirvana, perhaps you’ll have the time and resources to enroll in a night school or on-line class in English composition and proofreading.

mea culpa, but as dozens before you have opined, “the snark is strong in that one”

frugal-phile™
Joined 2001
Paid Member
Paul,

Your experience is far too limited for you to say what you say.

And your english is gibberish. I had coffee with someone immigrated from China and her written english runs circles around you. I used you as an example to build up here self-appreciation.

Your pronouncements and your YouTubes are useless.

But you are obviously very excited, AND…

The only important thing sis that the hifi connects you to the music…

… and you seem to have just discovered the seemless magic that a FR can bring in the midrange. That your system is actually a many-way with little care to making things work together well and that the little bit is doing really well is gobsmaking you.

Keep on listening (instead of talking), and playing and in 5 years you’ll come back to this thread, and say, boy was i out to lunch.

dave

Just wombling past this fine day. In the interests of this forum and its members, I think a small question is in order:

Paul (if that is your name, about which I have severe reservations): should you decide to emerge out of the woodwork at some future point, perhaps you would like to explain why you are lying your head off about www.diyaudio.com and its members, over on Audiogon.

A few samples:

The DIY forum just gave me the boot, as i failed to get The FR Association Enthusiasts approval, akak The Club. They told me, how dare you disregard our condemnation of dual Full Midrange design,,after we told you it will not work , its a complete failure... They got mad as hornets and gave me the boot, I am banned. Permanent.
[time stamp 7 December 2021]

A lie. As of this date, you are not even in the sin bin, let alone permanently banned from this forum. If you were, it would be clearly displayed and shown in your user profile.

But my dual FMS ,, no one has come up with a tag yet. And the DIYers have given my idea 2 big thumbs down. They think its a joke of a speaker. And so have banned me from further posting on THEIR forum.
[time stamp 8 December 2021]

The first, and sadly not the last, time you repeat the lie that you are banned from this forum.

...Because the DIY FR Committee has banned such a design. After I showed THE FR Club my design was a stunning success, ( I told them I really believe I have the best midrange sound in the world..,, they promptly booted me off the DIY forum,,no big deal, I did not learn even 1 thing over there about FR systems)) , ...
[time stamp 15 December 2021.]

The second repeat of the lie that you are banned from this forum.

I would add that:
  • Nobody here used any of the phrases you claim to quote, and stating otherwise is a further lie.
  • No design is 'banned' from this forum, and claiming otherwise is yet another lie.
  • Designs using two or more wideband drive units are uncommon, but by no means unknown here. This was pointed out to you on several occasions, so claiming otherwise is still another lie. I have published quite a number myself here, and was responsible designer for a number of compact commercial loudspeakers that took exactly this approach some years ago (attached). Thorsten has published a useful method for using dissimilar wideband units, which is frequently linked to (including on this thread), and bipoles, soundbars, arrays etc. often appear, as even a brief look at this forum shows.

Attachments

• CB.png
    CB.png
    60.1 KB · Views: 56
  • CT.png
    CT.png
    183.7 KB · Views: 60
  • V1.png
    V1.png
    93.6 KB · Views: 56
  • VT.png
    VT.png
    115.4 KB · Views: 56
Last edited:
frugal-phile™
Joined 2001
Paid Member
1/ Twin wideband drive units can work fine, if properly implemented. With larger types, as GM points out, it is advisable to roll one off above the baffle step frequency. With small units you can sometimes get away without, but this will depend on the driver in question, its baseline FR & how it's implemented.
There are 2 ways to roll-off a second FR and it depends on whether yu wire in series or parallel.

With parallel wiring one gets an extra 6 dB of sensitivity below the cut-off. Putting the transition at (or just below) BS makes good use of that.

With series connection (shunt cap across the driver being rolled off) there is no change in sensitivity and the criteria becomes, driver centre-to-centre is less than a quarter-wavelength at the XO point.

dave

Last edited:
Just wombling past this fine day. In the interests of this forum and its members, I think a small question is in order:
Some people need to feel there is excitement in their lives, so they just make it up along the way.
It was obvious from post one that Paul had no intention in having a discussion, not willing to hear/read anything that would contradict his bloated diatribe.
Plenty of members over there are calling his BS.
It was fun to see you guys try, but you must have known it was a lost cause, right?

I would love to add something related to speakers, but it will just land into deaf ears.
I will go back listening to my less than the most perfect amazing pair of speakers ever designed, and I will be fine! :)

That could almost be a mantra; “at the end of the day, the only person who has to like the sound of your hifi system is you”
oh wait, that already is.

Seriously, Mozartfan / Paul Best, if you’re happy with whatever iteration you’re currently doing with the DL drivers, more power to ya, but the misquoting and middle school bad girl peevish petulance is getting tired, buddy.