DavidLouis VX8 wide band

There is no such thing as an FE126 Sigma. The current ESigma range (which replaced the old non 'E' Sigma range back in about 2000) comprises the 4in FE108ESigma, the 6in FE168ESigma, and the 8in FE208ESigma. The latter was specifically designed to be used with one of their supertweeters, e.g. the T90a, T900A, or T500A or an equivalent thereof. You may also wish to keep in mind that these drivers have underhung motor designs; they have a short coil and coil gap, and relatively little linear travel as they were primarily intended / expected to be used with horn enclosures. They can be used in other box types, but they are generally less well suited to that role. Since this primarily is a question for the lower frequencies, it is less of an issue if they are used as midranges or mid-tweeters of course. However, it is something to keep in mind.

Last edited:
Thanks Scott.
I plan to order a pair of FE126NV 4.5 incher

Seems it all comes down to personal preference. Tang band Davidlouis Fostex, all 3 excellent FR speakers.

Took some time for me to come around to these FR speakers.
The Seas were very neutral, so I felt no need to look further.
But aftera test the higher sensitivity of a FR completely won me over.
I could never go back to a xover lower sensitivty design as front Center.
I like the fact the midwoofers add some bottom anda tweeter some sheen on the top end.
These FR speakers are just amazing. My music breathes new life.

I'll look at your 2 links today.

Founder of XSA-Labs
Joined 2012
Paid Member
Now i fully understand why you guys suggest a whizzer adds some mid resonances.
Its true, no whizzer is what I'm looking for.

This is w/o doubt the best high fidelity sound I've ever heard in my life.

This is the driver I will order along with the Sigma 8.

Modular speakers BENTEZH | Static Recordings Demo | ABSOLUTE SAMPLER | High-End DIY | Fostex FE108EZ - YouTube

You do realize that this is essentially a FAST/WAW systyem with a woofer assist and super tweeter assist?

Those look like 8in to 12in woofers in a reflex box and the tweeters look like AMT's. The sound of the FE108EZ by itself is not going to sound anything like this recording. I agree it sounds great - I am listening to it on my FAST/WAW system. :)

For a woofer, you should pick a proper woofer desgined for bass (meaning to move lots of air) and that means lots of linear cone travel. Fostex Sigma 8 is not a real woofer. The bass slam you hear in the recording is afforded by the proper woofer.

Last edited:
Well yeah by itself the lows and hghs from the assists will not be there, I am more interested in the midrange /realistic voicing of the mid fq's. This is wht i was refering to , how smooth non colored/clean midrange in the FE108EZ.
Even though its now been over 1 year since knowling about FR voicing,, I;'m still WOWed about their midrange performance.
These FR designs are just amazing

:)

Yes, in the critical 250-2 kHz mids BW the 108EZ's response is ~the inverse of our most acute hearing curve*, so will 'sound' tonally balanced by any normal hearing person, but this is a horn driver, so its 'stepped up' 2-6 kHz upper mids 'shouts' at us unless off axis which in turn somewhat degrades its mids without the horn or other type efficient wide range box alignment is used to mimic it.

* Interactive Ear Sensitivity Chart - Independent Recording Network

yeah WEll I just posted my reaction when I saw the uploaded pics on US AudioMart's photo page

1 word
WOW
Seeing it uo close in details, ,,UN-real.

If the FE108Sigma sounds just half as good as it looks, = Winner

Sure glad I took a up close look at the driver. Offically the VX6 is canceled.
The FE108Sigma has taken its place as a duo in the VX8 cabinet.

+ db sensitivity is ~~90db~~~ much better vs the VX6 @ 93db sens.

I'm running the DL W4 @ 91db and works in with STUNNING results.
Diana Krall's voice never sounded so sensuous and poetic.

The FE108 Sigma will take it even higher.
Will place it just above the DLVX8 same cabinet, No norn, just a port.
nada mas.
DLVX6 $325
Pair of FE108EZ @ $250

I can tell the FE108EZ will take my system sound super high fidelity.
I can almost hear it even before implimented.

+ The 4 inch cone is a much better assist vs a 6 inch cone for adding to the DLVX8.

man I have been bouncing back and forth since early ,,no wait late into the night,,then right back here early this morning,,,,
But I can tell you guys, I've found the Holy Grail 4 inch to assist the DLVX8.
Thanks for everyones imput and patience.

Seeing it is believing IT.

New excellent full range Fostex FE108EZ Photo #1853301 - US Audio Mart

Fostex Meets DavidLouis
It will be tagged

DLVX8FE108EZ speaker

got a 845 amp ahead of this purchase,,so early next year up N running.

Yes, in the critical 250-2 kHz mids BW the 108EZ's response is ~the inverse of our most acute hearing curve*, so will 'sound' tonally balanced by any normal hearing person, but this is a horn driver, so its 'stepped up' 2-6 kHz upper mids 'shouts' at us unless off axis which in turn somewhat degrades its mids without the horn or other type efficient wide range box alignment is used to mimic it

~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~

sooooo
what you are describing is w/o a proper horn, some upper mids might get a bit **shouty*** thats a big nono
Madisound hasa horn Kit.
I'lll look at it.
But its like 375,,I really don't have that cash, nor time to set up the kit...gonna go all or nothing stuck about the VX8 same cabinet, ported.
wish me luck....

OK I;'ve been debating past few 30 minutes,,
The FE108Sigma is too small a cone
I'm looking to create a Wilson size soundstage,,something like a big Sonus Faber offers, Tekton with 20 tweeters each cabinet + 4 woofers,,,
So a tiny 4 inch ain't gonna cut it..
Got to go witha W6
,,and this is final

FE168Sigma @ 94db.
DLVX8FE108EZ Speaker System.
Schnittke's big orchestral works,,wow,, unrealllll

Our speakers are only limited by our creativity we put into it.
mantra for the day.

Founder of XSA-Labs
Joined 2012
Paid Member
You change your mind about as fast as you can scroll to a new video with the next “best driver”. FE108Sigma was the bomb until you found out that drivers made for horns are shouty. The way to handle that is probably shelving filter (inductor and resistor in parallel). Not hard. Requires measurement though.

The way to get the performance you need is to look at the frequency response charts rather than listening to videos of drivers in an alignment that is not what you will be using. Drivers and speakers cabinets/horns are a system. Take one or the other out of the system that you listened to in the video and all bets are off.

frugal-phile™
Joined 2001
Paid Member
... how smooth non colored/clean midrange in the FE108e∑.

This driver is renowned for its midrange, not totally uncoloured but in a nice way. Over 2 decades old it still has a steady following for reason. Hard to get bass out of, a vintage top end, senuous and easy to listen/enjoy for long peiods. It is IMO, the best of the standard Sigmas.

Best box we ever found for them is Aiko (this pair on there way to TO).

Aiko-FE108eS.jpg

dave

Hey dave
Yeah These Sigmas seem to be the Fostex that will fit my preferences, clean, clear midrange.

Going with the FE168Sigma.
I think it will mesh quite well with the DLVX8,,,
I posted a note to a YT vid showing off the FE108Sigma,, Told him I am going dual Sigmas..
He asks **Duals ?? why??** like confused,, as if he's never heard of sucha thing. Told him going to keep the DLVX and add the FE6 Sigma.

Might sound like crapola to some, but each his own I guss, had a DLVX8 and TB2145 together... wayyyy too much midrange Thick like Molasses.
The W4 worked wonders with Diana Kralls voice.

Here 's one of my 1st YT vids on a FR, the DL Yellow6 that I am shipping off to a frind as it will not sell on ebay,.
Its up for sale if any one wants it $250/free ship.
anyway, note how enthused I am over my very 1st higher end FR. I blab for 5 minutes, so best to go to 5:30 for music.
I thought the WORLD of this speaker,, Its OK, but not up to the DLVX8's mids. ,,we all need standards.'
I'm looking for 10/10 across all fq band widths.
This Lowther clone was a 9/10 in all bands.
I know for a fact FE Sigma 6 annihiliates this Lowther clone.

Lowther clone,, man some chinese geek really knows how to clone.

DavidLouis 6.5 + Seas W18E001 + Kasun 3.5 paper tweeter - YouTube

FE108 has the midrange and smoothish top. The 168 does not.

If you want bass build the big cabinet or add helper woofers.

dave

So Are you saying the although each Fostex model FF, FE, EN, EZ, all have dif midrange characterists,, as well each size also will voice mids slightly different from the one above and below in size..?
But they are all cut from the same design.

I was wondering if I am nnot going too far addinga 6 with the DLVX8, as once again mids may be overwhelming
OK so back to the 106. lets take a look.

90db Much better sens as a add on to the 8.
I had doubts about adding a 6 with 94db sens.

Better price for my budget as well.

If the FE108 is a winner, I may decide to replace the DLVX8 with a FE208Sigma.

The range is the ESigma, not Sigma. I realise that sounds pedantic, but there's a reason: the current FExx8ESigmas replaced the previous (non 'E') FExx8Sigma series, which were physically very different.

OK, time for a dose of reality. Firstly, remember that the Fostex units are not designed to be rammed into a random vented box, especially with zero consideration given to alignment or anything else. While they will make noise that way, they will not do so very happily, and unless driven with a high output impedance amplifier, they will have little practical bass output below about 200Hz since they're horn drivers, and that's how they're meant to be used.

See the attached. Look at them in order. This is the FE208ESigma and FE108ESigma mounted on a baffle 25in tall x 12in wide, with 8in between the centre of the drivers. Don't say that's too difficult to understand, because if you can't cope with that, you're in the wrong hobby. I've deliberately not included box output as that isn't the major point of consideration here.

01 shows the response of the 208 (blue) and the 108 (red) on that baffle, if you were playing each by itself (not together).

02 shows what happens if you are sitting 2m away, when you put the same signal into each and play both together, with them wired in the same electrical polarity. Doesn't look very pretty, does it?

03 shows what happens if you are sitting 2m away, when put the same signal into each and play both together, with the 108 wired in inverted electrical polarity to the 208. Doesn't look much better, does it?

Attachments

• 01 Raw drivers.gif
    01 Raw drivers.gif
    24.2 KB · Views: 144
  • 02 Summed same polarity.gif
    02 Summed same polarity.gif
    23.1 KB · Views: 146
  • 03 Summed inverted 108 polarity.gif
    03 Summed inverted 108 polarity.gif
    23.2 KB · Views: 146
Last edited:
OK
Lets assume the
108 is a winner, crystal clean mids.
Now I need you guys imput to help me finish
The Frankenstein Speaker Project.
I realize you tech geeks only work on realistic and doable projects that make sense.
My speaker project everyone is like
:confused:

If it were your project, would you employ a 168EZ or a 208EZ to pair with the 108EZ.

IOW looking at the specs, which do you think would offer the most seamless intergration of the 2 with the voicing of the 108?
Lets look at the sens of both....be right back....
.208EZ
a wopping 97db sensitivity,

Fostex FE208EZ 8" Full Range Sigma Series

wow, that I feel is too high for what I want which is added bass.
IOW witha high sens, the mids come forward with much greater voic and leaves some bass behind at low/moderate SPL levels , which is the way I listen to music, very near field now 10x12 room.

Now lets look at the db sens for the 168EZ..
be right back...

168EZ @ 94db sens, same as the DLVX8.

Fostex FE168EZ 6.5" Full Range Sigma Series

Yep
I think this is the winning combo.

168EZ+ 108EZ
Provided the 108EZ delivers on the mids vs the mids in the DLVX6.
IOW will the mid character of the Fostex smash the mids of the DLVX8.

If yes, then we know the DLVX8 has lost its place as premminent speaker in the system and will have to bow to the Fostex superior mids.

Ideas?

Yes.

1/ I suggest you read my post above and understand what it says, and is showing you.

2/ My Collins English Dictionary lists the word 'geek' as a disparaging slang term descended from the Scottish Gaelic 'Geck', or 'fool' for people who are over-enthusiastically knowledgeable about a subject, or more recently, the same applied predominantly to the computing & programming industries. It isn't generally seen as a synonym simply for 'somebody who has a modicum of knowledge about a given subject'. Nobody here is so thin-skinned to take offense when it's obvious none is intended, but you may want to consider a different sobriquet. ;)

3/ I wouldn't run a 208 & 108 or 168 together wide open at all, since the interactions are 'problematic'.

4/ I especially wouldn't run both together wide open in a vented box without any consideration for alignment, since on top of the destructive interference between the individual outputs, they're basically horn drivers and will not work particularly well in loading terms if used like that.

Yeah you're right,, I always felt the *geek* word may have been in poor taste.
How about speaker /audio hobbists.

OK so a combined FR duo will have conflict of sound waves across the spectrum.

Which is why i guess the one YT vid where there is a nice 12 or 10 inch woofer + a single 168 + tweeter has sucha super clean, super clear midrange.

Got it.
dual FR will sound muddled, grainy.
AS the sound waves from each distort the others waves.
This must be whats going on when I hear the sym orch ramp up at crescendos and sound is more **greyish**.

OK duo project is off.
Now , this saves me alot of time/money /headaches and keeps the speaker project behind schedule.

I know you guys would help me figure this project..
OK so I think,,,hummm, tough call,
single 168Sigma
vs single 208 Sigma.

hummm tough call.
Again taking ideas.

seems to me the 6 will deliver a tigher cleaner mids, besides the DLVX8 at 94db is really at my liminit of sensitivity.
Plus 3 more db,,, bass will be weak, too forward in midrange.
'

IMHO I think the 138EZ will be my best choice for a nice balance of bass/mids/highs.

Remember cellos lowest note is 65hz.
So really don't need the 208EZ's lower hz response for my classical.

I know its not possible to hear exactly whats going on in a YT compressed upload.
But all i can say is this sounds ~~sureal~~ as if the speaker disappears and that its not really the speaker but some sort of digital upload, that is some type of recording mic not inside the camera.

Because it sounds too good to be a cam mic low quality sound.

The DLVX8 might have some competition.

FOSTEX FE168EΣ - YouTube

And you say these Sigma series has been out for some years no... wow why have I not heard of these speakers til now.

:confused::Ouch::mad: