Need enclosure sugestion for Mark Audio CHR 120

Hello,

I never heard a good full range speaker.

I´m from Brazil and here we dont have quality speakers for "home use" because the audio market here only have products for automotive (focused on SPL) or outdoor professional big events

I am thinking in buy from Madisound a pair of Mark Audio CHR 120 because i read that its have a very good bass extension, and it is what i am looking for

and i am in doubt whats enclosure would be the best for my use:

i have a small room 15m2

i hear mainly "old jazz" (miles davis, bill evans, jim hall, dave brubeck etc) and Rock (Beatles, Pink Floyd, Rush etc)

and i want an enclosure that could give the more clear and profound bass i could get from this songs

so from all the enclosure sugestions founded in the Mark Audio site ( CHR-120 | Markaudio )

what will be the one that probably will fit better in my room and in my expectations?

do you think i will be good have a subwoofer to help too?

PS: if there is another speaker in Mark audio (or other manufacturer) instead of CHR 120 that is better for what i want please let me know too

The plans on the Mark Audio site are in general designed by Scott Lindgren aka Scottmoose down here and he knows what he is doing. I would probally build the Oryx or the Pencil from his designs for that room if i did not make a design myself. Both are a kind of TL type of speakers and give probally the most base possible for this driver and fit the size of that room.

CHR-120 | Markaudio

Btw, the cheaper CHN110 in an MLTL (similar to the Oryx design but front ported and with a slot in stead of a pipe) gives all i need, even for bass heavy music like dub, but only on low to moderate volume (aka, don't think about house parties with this speakers, but loud enough for nearfield listening). Plans for the CHN110 are also on the Mark Audio site on the CHN110 page. My room is a bit biggger but not that much.

Btw, the cheaper CHN110 in an MLTL (similar to the Oryx design but front ported and with a slot in stead of a pipe) gives all i need, even for bass heavy music like dub, but only on low to moderate volume (aka, don't think about house parties with this speakers, but loud enough for nearfield listening). Plans for the CHN110 are also on the Mark Audio site on the CHN110 page. My room is a bit biggger but not that much.

i considered the CHN110 before but when i saw this video that Mark Fenlon said that if you like heavy rock you should use a subwoofer with CHN110 i supose taht CHN120 would be better in delivering bass:

Mark Fenlon chats CHN 110 - YouTube

Last edited:
The plans on the Mark Audio site are in general designed by Scott Lindgren aka Scottmoose down here and he knows what he is doing. I would probally build the Oryx or the Pencil from his designs for that room if i did not make a design myself. Both are a kind of TL type of speakers and give probally the most base possible for this driver and fit the size of that room.

The Oryx and Pensil was on top of my list...i was only afraid of pensil because of stuffing...i never stuff so i was afraid of messing up...the Oryx make me feel more secure because its only layer of felt on the walls

Last edited:
i considered the CHN110 before but when i saw this video that Mark Fenlon said that if you like heavy rock you should use a subwoofer with CHN110 i supose taht CHN120 would be better in delivering bass:

Not necesairy, and heavy rock on high volume is what he ment. I play electronic dub with a very low and heavy bass like this track on my MLTL's without subwoofer and as long as i stay on normal livingroom levels the CHN110 in the MLTL can pull it... But heavy rock or dub or electronic music in general on concert levels (+100dB) won't be possible, that is true. None of his drivers will do that, they are not build for that. There is a limit on what a 5" or 6" (even as woofer or subwoofer) can do on bass, and Mark Fenlon and his team are already pushing it further than most think is possible...

Mark Fenlon chats CHN 110 - YouTube