Alpair 11MS

My drivers are starting to be recorded now. Are overwhelmed by what they can accomplish.
I can associate that they sound a bit like mine hornspeakers in the 80's (3-way). So detailed and seductive without sounding hard in any way.
I am very happy with these drivers. I really recommend these.
Mark you are the KING
I have found home ...
Thanks.

Last edited:
You've asked this a number of times now, and in the words of Led Zeppelin, the song remains the same. ;) Unfortunately, there is no such thing as 'best' -just a collection of compromises from which you select based on your particular requirements.

An Onken (as in an Onken, not something that simply resembles an Onken) is just a vented box with a massive vent system distributed down each side. That frequently means duct-length is sufficient to have significant self-harmonic modes, the effect of which some people enjoy, but others prefer to damp out (and technically should be for accuracy). Boxes like Dave's mar-Kens are not Onkens -they just look like them. In their case, Dave is using the high aspect ratio of the ducting to increase frictional losses and provide a damped alignment, a little akin to what you would get by stuffing the duct of a vented box. FHXL is a horn designed for boundary-loading. The Pensils are a specific hybrid MLQW / MLTL alignment targeting a relatively flat impedance load. Both of the latter have some adjustability built into their alignments to allow the user to adapt behaviour, at least to an extent, to suit their particular room & system acoustic.

Last edited:
Reactions: 1 user
Ok. Good answer.
Is it the case that some prefer one box and another prefer another?
Know that they may sound different in different rooms. The dimensions of the room can affect the frequency curve and anything else that disturbs the sound.
It is a science to get a room moderately subdued.
A question :
What programs do you use to calculate a speaker box?
How do you know where the driver should be placed on the baffle and where the base reflex tube should be?
The measurements are so accurate in the drawings.
I was impressed by Nostromo. 16 liters the largest I used.

Last edited:
I built a BR box with round port for 11ms, virtually a nostromo (identical volume coincidentally), box could be stuffed and port plugged to convert to sealed. I prefered sealed but it is too lean which gets tiring after a while, if the 11ms didnt have the bright treble it would probably be more acceptable. If I were to resort to EQ I would just use it OB at that stage.

Later the round port was replaced with resistive high aspect ratio slot port like the CGR boxes and this sounds really great, while still a ported box it sounds like a balanced hybrid between sealed and round port.

Last edited:
What type of amplifier do you use?
I have a tube amplifier.
Maybe it's better choices that dampen the treble a bit. Well they are a bit bright but not so it bothers.
If you want a little more balance in the sound, you can place them closer to the back wall and not point them directly at the ears.
Have you tested it?

Amp is lm3886 currently.
Agreed it is bright but not bothersome, the treble is smooth so it's only a matter of tuning (adjustable by EQ), it amazes me for such a large driver.
With speakers I often feel sound is best listening on axis and with some distance away from wall.