Alpair 11MS

For me the Alpair 10.3 and the CHN110 stay my favorite. Alpair 7.3 was also great (but i don't know if that is still availeble). The 11MS is slightly behind for me. I never liked the 7MS. I never heared the MAOP versions altough.

Hi Waxx,

What makes you not like the 11MS (and especially the 7MS), when compared to the "spidered" versions?

I myself have an Alpair 10P and 7.3, but I'm curious about the performance of those mono suspension designs (considering they are newer and theoretically "improved" designs)

I like the 11MS, but it's not as good as the 10.3, mainly on the low frequencies. It does not go that low and i have the impression that the harmonic distortion on the low is more prominent because the bass is less detailed. It also has a more ragged response.

The 7MS has similar issues, but on top it's also not that great, it sounds dull where the 11MS has a very good top end. it's like it's top end is very ragged and rolls of earlier than i wish wich is strange for a smaller driver. The Alpair 7.3 or the Pluvia 7 do it a lot better i think.

Reactions: 1 user
I measure it in the same BOX and the same room, but I don't feel that the bass of 11MS is inferior.

4L.jpg

5L.jpg

I have the 7MS and the Pluvia 7 that I have used in a WAW arrangement with an 8" woofer. The 7MS for me is the better driver. I was using a notch filter with the Pluvia at around 12khz. I don't need it with the 7MS. I do tend to listen on-axis. I can't comment on using them full range.
I also have the MOAP 7 but I haven't tried them out yet :( must pull my finger out.

I use Nostromo largest version.
Listens to them angled at about 10 °.
It gives me an absolutely wonderful sound image and balance throughout the frequency response. Have followed Scotmoose's recommended measurements which seem to be the best but it can certainly work with other boxes. I think that a smaller box, baffle means that the speakers have a tendency to disappear more easily in the sound image.
I am so grateful for all the tips I received even though I was skeptical from the beginning.
Alpair 12p was a failure, an expensive one too. But others may like them.

Last edited:
Today I listened to the Alpair 11MS. Nostromo Large. I like the sound, a bit brighter than the MAOP 10.
If you don't drive too much, some of the light disappears if you are disturbed by it. I choose to turn them in 5 degrees only. Otherwise, 15 degrees is more common and I use that for MAOP 10.
11MS feels like they have better transients. Not as pleasant as MAOP 10.
They shine with their presence and bass.

I have built a MLTL to a pair of Alpair 11MS. It work great.
~57 litre and 110 cm high.
I have only made a hole 45mm big at backside and it is placed 14 cm from botton. Driver is placed 23cm from the top. Bas is deep and the sound isnt so tight as Nostromo enclosure.
Inside 106cm high x 20cm wide x 27.5cm deep

Last edited:
Reactions: 1 user