Alpair 11MS

Not all chip amps are created equal, and that’s certainly the case with LM3886. When listening to several variants using that device designed by Tom Christiansen driving at least 4 Mark Audio FR and Multi-way designs, brightness would not have been in the lexicon I’d use to describe them, but quality certainly would be.

Last edited:
Now I have started moving around the speakers in the room.
They stand on stands about 90 cm high.
Now they are 1 meter out from the front wall. Sounds very effortless and balanced. David Bowie (Let's dance 1983) really sounds like David. The sound image is large and voices are heard clearly. The base is well articulated. Plays at medium volume. About 90 db.
They do most things right.

Last edited:
frugal-phile™
Joined 2001
Paid Member
FHXL, Pensil (and other TLs), and the Mar-Kens (or other reflex boxes) are differnt compromises where shape, size and cost come into play.

Bass extention follows the order i listed them in above, FHXL dragging the lowest bass out of them. Large and unusual shape. A reflex is the box you choose if you want a smaller box or do not need the bass extention — in the case of helper woofers, a sealed box often works as well).

The miniOnken, which as Scott says only look like Onkens is a design alignment that has proven to provide very articulate, elegant bass, but only as low as it goes, and tends to be a “small" box. The ones-like nature makes for very well controlled resonance in the sidewalls, meaning that only the top, back, bottom and baffle need further bracing. The long high aspect ratio vents provide sufficient resistance that the reosnances Sott talks about in the Onken vents is largely squashed but provides sufficient R to push the box towards aperiodic. The 1st step of which in a typical BR, is to damp the vent to increase its resistance, something i have successfully done, quite spectacular during a diyFEST (in particualr a Visaton B200 in a too small vented box — actually with this driver any vented box is too small).

dave

Thank you very much Dave.

I use Nostamus.

I have tried to get more damp in the box. Negative result.
I have filled the BR with damp. Negative result. Maybe to much.
Bass is tight. Well balanced.

Maybe a onken is the way to try.
I have never heard a onken so i cant say if it is better for my ears. I am realy curious.

Last edited:
Dear nandappe!

I love my tube amplifier. 6550 tubes. I will test my digital amplifier and compare these with Alpair 11MS. I'm glad you wrote that they worked well with both. Your videos on youtube were very good. Music I like to listen to. Do you have an opinion which driver is your favorite among those you've listened to? Alpair 11MS is my choice.

Dear LeifB60,

Of the continue products, I like MAOP10 best.
Add the older products, FOSTEX FE208ES-R is the most fantastic driver.

3L.jpg

1L.jpg

2L.jpg