Has Anyone Tried this PRV Full Range Driver in Their HiFi Builds?

That particular driver won't physically fit in an FHXL, even if it was suited for that enclosure.

If you like the size and look of the FHXL, then you'll obviously need a driver that fits, and has the parameters to work correctly. See the typical drivers used, Mark Audio A10.3, A10p, Fostex FF165WK, etc.

jeff

Last edited:
frugal-phile™
Joined 2001
Paid Member
Joan is bigger.

Joan-the-FH-extents.png

dave

Have you seen Fane 12-250TC for roughly the same price? It is 12" though.

Seems to have gotten some positive response around here as a fullrange driver and I thought it sounded decent enough in this demo (maybe because its recorded outdoors)

I'd say you could expect good dynamics but rough sound from these these kind of large, whizzer coned fullrangers.

For the same price you could buy something like MarkAudio CHN-110 from their budget range in one the largest driver sizes they make. Of course you wont get the same kind of power handling or sensitivity with these if that is important for you.

Last edited:
This risks reiterating the “obvious”, but leaving anything unsaid can lead to confusion and wasted time & coin, and frustration. Intended application is key to eliciting most helpful advice / recommendations for choice of drivers & enclosure type, and at least a short list of questions should be considered. In which priority these are best addressed is another can of worms, but in any case:

- room size & acoustic properties;
- case of use - primarily focused “serious” listening, audio wallpaper, or something between;
- music or movie watching, or a combination of the two, with the associated question as to number of channels;
- available extant amplifier power / type(s);
- constraints of size for enclosures, and or budget;

No doubt other members here would have their own bullet list points to add.

Gentlemen, let the games begin.

"pro sound" doesn't rely upon things like 12lta or this driver. That PRV10 is a good driver which probably could use a helper tweeter. Its no worse than a 12lta - just different - maybe better (?)

Right, these type drivers are for Public Address [PA] apps, so really are good for HIFI/HT once tweaked and frankly prefer them to HIFI drivers for most HIFI apps and all HT apps that allow relatively big speakers.

Just from published specs, I prefer the PRV if it was a 12".

All very interesting info! Thank you!

Here's my situation; I need an extremely efficient speaker to pair with my flea-watt SET amp. I currently have 96dB Klipsch to get me by and that's fine for rock/pop but not efficient enough for classical in my setup (near-field listening in my home office). So, looking at the specs of the drivers usually associated with Fruge/als it doesn't look like I'll get what I need. That's why the 100dB PRV looked promising. (if it matters, I do use a powered sub in this setup)

Do you experienced guys have a recommendation for a 98dB+ DIY design? I do have woodworking skills.

Thanks!

for flea watt - might be tough to beat a Fostex 206 (?) My L Cao F6 are more sensitive (and higher Z) than Eminence's Delta Pro 8A rated "97dB".

12LTA, L Cao F6, with rather high qts, lack a jump factor I find with say drivers with reasonably low mms, and qts ~.3. Its not all an objective frequency response difference problem as the late Bruce Edgar wrote that he was able to get high sensitivity from his little FLH at the time with USA made Pyle but result lacked the subjective attack of drivers like JBL's 2220H ( ~0.2 qts)

I've run 12LTA in Karlson K12 and it has a pretty nice midrange, but on loud percussion, lacks the attack of say Kappa 12A (with K-tube and compression driver) - in 12LTA's defense and the little Karlson, 12LTA sounded pretty reasonable with Tom Danley's Harley bike recording while my AN10 in reflex fluttered and farted out of its gap.

Flea Watt and multi-way probably needs something like Altec Vott of a FLH with low loss crossover parts (or Headphones). I had a NORH SE 6L6 amp with 99dB rated Eminence 15CX and that was miserable. It took some time before I realized the 6 watts rated amp had its 6L6 triode tied and not much over one watt. I'd rather some lowly solid scrape thing than an underpowered tube amp.

I would have loved to have seen Eminence slap one of their ubiquitous 54-56 ounce ferrite magnet slugs on 12LTA. They've made many 2" VC speaker with that size magnet so should be an easy task. (lets make a petition or Go Fund Me to make this happen lol)

Fane's 12-250TC needs no helper tweeter. so that may offset its higher cost vs Celestion and Eminence twin cone 12".

Last edited: