Fullrange speaker & cabinet dilemma

I heard an XR290 at a show once -lousy setup alas, but if it was that beast, it was still seriously good.

Hmm, FR based corner array -something like John Murphy's?

Yeah, apparently pretty finicky as they couldn't get it dialed in at the lone McIntosh HIFI Emporium either, but then couldn't do much better with Altec/JBL horn consumer speakers either.

Yes, though don't remember him posting on 'our' line array thread[s?] and based on his '30 yrs', I'd already done my experiments a bit earlier after being exposed to the Bozak Concert Grand's little vertical tweeter array that replaced its horn mouth shaped one somewhat before McIntosh 'grabbed the Bull by the horns' with their much longer one.

The Bozak one impressed me enough to wonder if the whole plurality 'thing' that made the big stadium horn arrays acceptable might work as well as my virtually full height corner loaded horn system did, though do remember John being perplexed that such great c-t-c distances could sound coherent, so guess he came to the same conclusion that there's more to corner loading than just huge gain capability down low and up high and of course from McIntosh's research we now know that it only need be ~71% of the height, which lines right up with optimal box seam bracing. Mother Nature is nothing if not consistent.

Ain't that the truth. ;)

Glad it wasn't just over here they couldn't get their show setup right. Then again, most show & dealer systems I've heard over the past decade haven't been stellar in that regard either, so perhaps there's 'comfort' (ha!) in the knowledge that the theme continues... :p

You've got to wonder why Bozak don't get more credit these days; they did some great work with those tweeter arrays etc. Now, why am I not surprised that you were experimenting with large arrays before most others? :D I'm starting to think I should do more work with them if I can scrape the money together.

Never heard any scuttlebutt about Bozak's fall from grace, just by the early '70s the only model I saw was the Concert Grand at near Concert Grand piano pricing, cabinetry.

The main reason I was able to do so much beyond having an overabundance of curiosity was that so many perfectly good electronics, speakers, drivers were free for the taking thanks to the switch to stereo, folks moving to the 'burbs' where they could 'crank'em up' and special thanks to the Southeast Asian Police Action [aka Vietnam War], a record number of college students needing small, dirt cheap HIFI systems, so was able to not just fund my hobby, but allow me to buy gear that I couldn't otherwise afford.

frugal-phile™
Joined 2001
Paid Member
Better how?

A properly done horn (which the Cornu Clones are) is large. And so far, it is still a bit of a guessing game with little modeling done to optimize it. Get it right and the large size + the wall acting as part of the horn can prodcue quite stunning bottom. Sometimes it has to be dialed back.

A reflex would be much, much smaller, one just needs to morph an existing reflex to best fit on the wall. It will also get some gain from the wall, there will be no 2π to 4π transition, but not at near the level of the horn.

9 litres is what i would do. 30or 46° side walls to enhance the proximity to the wall.

dave

Better how?
I was asking if there are some limitations, but you already answered in your post. Thanks!

there will be no 2π to 4π transition, but not at near the level of the horn.
I will search info on this, as I don't kniw what is it.

9 litres is what i would do. 30or 46° side walls to enhance the proximity to the wall.
Sorry for the noob question, can you please explain what has to be angled?

PS
There would be any improvement in making the rear surface as a cone vs flat as the front side? I'm imaging the horn with all four sides expanding vs two sides expanding and front/rear parallel.

I will search info on this, as I don't kniw what is it.

Sorry for the noob question, can you please explain what has to be angled?

Pi space loadings: True Audio Speaker Topics: Spatial Loading

No, your box ideally needs to fit flush to the wall and in plan view [looking down] the front baffle will be 'x' width for the driver, then bending back on all sides, ideally all the way back to the wall, so ideally should be curved, though as long as the angle isn't too steep it's not a big deal: https://p10hifi.net/tlinespeakers/forum/olson-baffles-used.gif

Thanks again GM, you explained very well, but what I haven’t got is planet10’s angles tonside walls compared to your explanation of the wall on which the speaker is installed.
But it can be me that I’m totally new to the argument and misunderstood. I have for sure a huge gap in knowledge in these arguments.

frugal-phile™
Joined 2001
Paid Member
Something like this:

WallFonken-take3-sketch.gif

That is 13 litres, A11ms goes into 9. Doesn’t need to have as complex vents.

I probably have more examples if pushed.

dave