Go Back   Home > Forums > >

Fullrange speaker & cabinet dilemma
Please consider donating to help us continue to serve you.

Ads on/off / Custom Title / More PMs / More album space / Advanced printing & mass image saving

Old 10th June 2021, 06:03 PM   #31
Scottmoose is offline Scottmoose  United Kingdom
diyAudio Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by planet10 View Post
It is about the transition from near-field to Fairfield. This changes with frequency and falls away above scott’s transition point.

dave
Right, in terms of vertical polars. But I was also referring to mutual coupling. As Jim Novak (himself leaning on Pritchard) put it (I can't exactly do better than him for obvious reasons ):

'The net radiation resistance, or acoustic loading for small spacings in an N speaker array, is N^2 times as large as the loading on a single speaker. This increase is consistent with an N-fold increase in cone area. On the other hand, as the relative centre-to-centre spacing (ratio of spacing to wavelength) is increased, the sound pressure no longer remains uniform over the array surface. This causes the array loading to decrease ultimately to N times the loading on a single speaker. Increased loading in this case, occurs only in direct proportion to the total cone area because the over-all array dimensions are now large relative to the wavelength.'

Last edited by Scottmoose; 10th June 2021 at 06:05 PM.
Old 10th June 2021, 07:31 PM   #32
GM is offline GM  United States
diyAudio Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by AllenB View Post
However a wideband driver when used in an array would be a unique proposition, and out of the scope of ordinary array theory.
Patent jargon : In the end, a sufficient plurality of point sources is perceived as one up to the desired off axis polar response.
Old 10th June 2021, 09:17 PM   #33
diyAudio Member

...and once again, he says in a sentence what takes me about 5 paragraphs.

Re jargon, that it is, and loose at that, although I figure if Olson, Jim Griffin, Russell & a bunch of others can use it or variations, that's good enough for the likes of me to be going on with...

Last edited by Scottmoose; 10th June 2021 at 09:23 PM.
Old 10th June 2021, 09:57 PM   #34
GM is offline GM  United States
diyAudio Member

Of course! Patent application = preponderance of obscure abstract profundity.

Definitely not dismissing it as a viable option, especially since the XR290 is overall the best cone/dome speaker system I've ever auditioned, besting some the then popular horn systems also and thoroughly enjoyed my 'adventures' in 'FR' driver line array experiments, thread[s?] we had on the original FR forum to the point where if I wind up being forced to dramatically downsize my living quarters I image I'll prefer an FR 'infinite' corner array over a FR 'monkey coffin' or FAST/WAW as it comes closer to a horn system's 'presence', for lack of a better term ATM.
Old 10th June 2021, 10:03 PM   #35
AllenB is offline AllenB  Australia
diyAudio Moderator

The issue was "array effects" and "array loading". Are these anything more than a DI based change? They can come together the same in the far field for separated sources.
Old 11th June 2021, 12:53 AM   #36
planet10 is offline planet10  Canada
frugal-phile(tm)
diyAudio Moderator

If any haven’t seen it, there is a thread with a very good analysis of an infinite array.

Lots of insight there.

dave
Old 11th June 2021, 07:13 AM   #37
zintolo is offline zintolo  Italy
diyAudio Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by astrojet View Post
In fact, it does. Recent literature even shows that buildings sitting on soft soils are like the dots on speaker cones (presumably, I've never tested the dots) -- and change then frequency response of the ground shaking around them.
May I ask you to share this literature? It could give some new ideas to apply to speakers and cabinets. Or improve jackhammers, pistons and cylinders, etc...
Old 11th June 2021, 07:32 AM   #38
zintolo is offline zintolo  Italy
diyAudio Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by planet10 View Post
If any havenít seen it, there is a thread with a very good analysis of an infinite array.
Is it this one? Infinite Line Source: analysis
Old 11th June 2021, 09:12 AM   #39
diyAudio Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by GM View Post
Of course! Patent application = preponderance of obscure abstract profundity.
I like it... I'll have to bookmark that one.

Quote:
Definitely not dismissing it as a viable option, especially since the XR290 is overall the best cone/dome speaker system I've ever auditioned, besting some the then popular horn systems also and thoroughly enjoyed my 'adventures' in 'FR' driver line array experiments, thread[s?] we had on the original FR forum to the point where if I wind up being forced to dramatically downsize my living quarters I image I'll prefer an FR 'infinite' corner array over a FR 'monkey coffin' or FAST/WAW as it comes closer to a horn system's 'presence', for lack of a better term ATM.
Sounds good to me. I think (it was a while ago) I heard an XR290 at a show once -lousy setup alas, but if it was that beast, it was still seriously good.

Hmm, FR based corner array -something like John Murphy's? The Murphy Corner-Line-Array Home Page
Old 11th June 2021, 09:26 AM   #40
diyAudio Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by AllenB View Post
The issue was "array effects" and "array loading". Are these anything more than a DI based change? They can come together the same in the far field for separated sources.
Not really, just a different term that is sometimes used for convenience; as noted, nothing novel here. All I was trying to say was with a typical nearfield array using unsupported wideband drivers, in many circumstances EQ will be required for the top end, not to correct for the high Q notches in the response, but to compensate for the overall reduction in output.

Last edited by Scottmoose; 11th June 2021 at 09:33 AM.

Fullrange speaker & cabinet dilemmaHide this!Advertise here!