Best fullrangedriver?

Hi Leif.

It might help people respond if you indicated what your expectations are regarding loudness, bass and treble extension, coverage area, size of sweet spot, whether you are inclined to add bass or tweeter support, what you will drive them with, what size box you are willing to put up with and whether you will use signal correction.

I've fooled around with perhaps 15 (mostly Fostex and Mark Audio plus a handful of vintage Goodmans, Richard Allan) and in my experience the implementation has mostly mattered more than the driver.

With that said, to answer your question directly, my favourite of the lot of them has been the RA CG10T followed by a MA 12pw (wideband). I'm one of the least experienced here, so don't listen to me! Best of luck.

There is no 'best', just an infinite number of compromises from which you select according to your particular requirements. So if anybody tells you 'x' is 'the best', then you know you can safely ignore them. ;)

That said, obviously the RCA LC-1A (which technically is and isn't a wideband, usually being included on an honorary basis) is the best such driver ever made. :D

Reactions: 1 user
There are as many best full-range drivers as there are people.

One driver can cover from 30Hz to 20kHz and the quality is top class.
MAOP10 is my my my best full-range driver.

2L.jpg

3L.jpg

Bill Evans / Some Other Time with MAOP10

共鳴タイプスピーカー(BH,TQWT,ML-TL等)の鬼門に挑戦[4]~ビル・エヴァンス/サム・アザー・タイム [ Bill Evans / Some Other Time ] を聴いてみる♪ - YouTube

Last edited:
how loud ?

How far away do you sit ?

What kind of music ?

For me, an 8" is ok out to 7' if you want bass, but head in a vise at that distance.

I'm working on a 4 x 3" array now (no baffle step even), mainly for late night movie watching (vocal monitor), but for music, I'd need some woofers rolled in 6db.

There is no 'best', just an infinite number of compromises from which you select according to your particular requirements. So if anybody tells you 'x' is 'the best', then you know you can safely ignore them. ;)

Fane do a couple of good full rangers.
Fane 12"-250TC (triple cone)
Fane 15"-300TC (triple cone)

I have a pair of the 250's in a sealed cab and they sound good.

...those being the ones I find unlistenable even 40 degrees off-axis. ;) When my friend Steve brought his pair to our other friend, er, Steve's house, in sealed boxes, I was forced to retreat into another room and close the door most of the way as they were quite literally (not joking) causing me physical pain.

As I say, no best, just an infinite array of compromises from which people pick according to their particular requirements. And long may it remain so. Be a very boring world if we all liked the same things. :)

Last edited:
There are as many best full-range drivers as there are people.

One driver can cover from 30Hz to 20kHz and the quality is top class.
MAOP10 is my my my best full-range driver.

Bill Evans / Some Other Time with MAOP10

共鳴タイプスピーカー(BH,TQWT,ML-TL等)の鬼門に挑戦[4]~ビル・エヴァンス/サム・アザー・タイム [ Bill Evans / Some Other Time ] を聴いてみる♪ - YouTube

MAOP 10 interesting drivers, from KJFaudio one pair, costs US$724.00. Not cheap for sure.

Founder of XSA-Labs
Joined 2012
Paid Member
I recorded the sound under identical conditions for many drivers here. Many people participated and certain drivers stood out as “the best”. Have a listen for yourself.

Subjective Comparison Threads

A Subjective Blind Comparison of 3in to 5in Full Range Drivers

A Subjective Blind Comparison of 3in to 5in drivers - Round 2

A Subjective Blind Comparison of 2in to 4in drivers - Round 3

A Subjective Blind Comparison of 2in to 4in drivers - Round 4

A Subjective Blind Comparison of 2in to 3.5in drivers - Round 5

I’ll cut to the chase for you: 10F/8424, B80, TG9FD-8, SB65WBAC25-4, Jeep Alpine OEM, and 3FE22-16 are some that I remember off the top of my head.

Reactions: 1 user