Go Back   Home > Forums > >

Single FR OB experiences
Single FR OB experiences
Please consider donating to help us continue to serve you.

Ads on/off / Custom Title / More PMs / More album space / Advanced printing & mass image saving

Old 16th May 2021, 02:29 PM   #11
scottjoplin is offline scottjoplin  Wales
Banned

Quote:
Originally Posted by lasercut View Post
The L-frame should definitely be on outside of the 2 speakers, sounds very 'boxed in' with them on inside, which is not surprising I suppose.
Interesting results, thanks for posting. Regards the above, I wonder if you are hearing some panel resonance, the wing is not well braced or damped.
Old 16th May 2021, 03:36 PM   #12
lasercut is offline lasercut  Ireland
diyAudio Member

Single FR OB experiences
The 'boxed in' sound didnt seem like resonance to me, but not an expert on what ways low level resonance can manifest. The test wings are not ideal that's for sure.

Last edited by lasercut; 16th May 2021 at 03:38 PM.
Old 8th June 2021, 11:37 PM   #13
diyAudio Member

Single FR OB experiences
A good compromise to get larger baffle area in smaller space for an OB multiway is having the drivers share one large baffle.

Below is just a rough test setup, it was quick and reversible to just attach the 11MS open baffles to this wooden headboard that I had mounted the 2 P830668 on for an earlier test. There is excessive distance between the woofer and FR, the Edge response looks pretty bumpy for all the drivers.
Despite this and all other potential issues of sharing a single flat baffle for all drivers it sounds pretty great already.

The 11MS manages to maintain low IMD in midrange with heavy bass so it is ideal for OB WAW, this was my issue using the alpair 7p in a similar OB application, I wanted to cross it higher to lower IMD but the P830668 cone break up would become too audible.

On this baffle the 11MS is 1st order high passed at 100Hz with -0.8dB attenuation (sensitivity is quite well matched to P830668). the 11MS sounded good running even left running fullrange, it was a bit cleaner and coherent sounding this way and I wanted to have some protection for over-excursion.

The P830668 sound best low passed at 750Hz, surprisingly high, I think after getting some use at real volumes (enough to create some cone movement) the mid range smoothed out and of course the vastly increased low bass efficiency helps.

The OB woofers are amazing for the simple reason that you basically only hear them and not the room, bass emanates from the baffle only, attack and decay is very fast for more realistic impact, more definition, and it persists up to very high volumes.
The is in a 9x11' concrete wall listening room.
Attached Images
File Type: png OB.png (48.6 KB, 168 views)

Last edited by lasercut; 9th June 2021 at 12:07 AM.
Old 10th June 2021, 07:50 PM   #14
Mattes is offline Mattes  Germany
diyAudio Member

Hi,

1st order passive HP will not result in any protection for the poor small widerange driver, in contrary. At main resonance, SPL will come back, sometimes even more as without any filter at all.
The only way to use a pssive 1st order HP in a WAW is having a parallel LCR to the wideband which flattens the impedance at resonance and allows the C to work correctly. 100Hz HP and 750Hz LP sounds strange, especially in an OB. Have you measured or calculated?

All the best

Mattes
Disclaimer: Im the international distributor for FERTIN ACOUSTICS fullrange drivers and am thus biased by commercial interest. Please have a look at https://guentherengineering.com for further information.
Old 10th June 2021, 09:48 PM   #15
diyAudio Member

Single FR OB experiences
True but only for passive XO, I should have mentioned this is using PLLXO .

They were strange XO points and I think it was to do with the extremely erratic response of the baffle and driver placement
This was a crude first test for seeing the potential of using a single baffle for all the drivers.

A lot of adjustments have been made since and still a WIP.
Below is another rough diagram of current state of it and overall it is a big improvement over last example.

I will need to find out the new optimal XO again using software but
already obvious is that the 11ms no longer needs any attenuation and the woofer lowpass point is going to be lower.

One thing for sure with polyfill lining it is a strong contestant for ugliest speaker ever built.

I can of course get most extended response yet from 11ms alone on this baffle and the lining addressed some of my previous SQ issues of using large baffles, but it will be hard to go back to not having the strong OB bass response of the woofers.
Attached Images
File Type: png ob2.png (161.1 KB, 106 views)

Last edited by lasercut; 10th June 2021 at 09:57 PM.
Old 12th June 2021, 07:35 PM   #16
Mattes is offline Mattes  Germany
diyAudio Member

Hi,

OK, with PLLXO it should be OK. Ive just seen too many people putting just a C in front of their WR units and thinking they have filter and protection function...
Good luck with your experiments!

All the best

Mattes
Disclaimer: Im the international distributor for FERTIN ACOUSTICS fullrange drivers and am thus biased by commercial interest. Please have a look at https://guentherengineering.com for further information.
Old 12th June 2021, 09:18 PM   #17
diyAudio Member

Single FR OB experiences
Thanks

BTW the new best sounding XO with recent adjustments was much more typical, lowpass 260Hz and highpass 275Hz with 0.25dB attenuation.
  Reply to this post

Single FR OB experiencesHide this!Advertise here!