Go Back   Home > Forums > >

Anyone found a Ali 3-4" gem that measures well?
Anyone found a Ali 3-4" gem that measures well?
Please consider donating to help us continue to serve you.

Ads on/off / Custom Title / More PMs / More album space / Advanced printing & mass image saving

Old 6th May 2021, 11:02 AM   #1
impuls60 is offline impuls60  Norway
diyAudio Member

Default Anyone found a Ali 3-4" gem that measures well?

I'm looking for a cheap 3-4" for a FAST application in some old speaker boxes. I've looked around aliexpress, and some of the drivers appear to have good build quality. Some even have aluminium baskets even down into to 16usd range. So I'm wondering if anyone have measured some of these? I have a Fountek 2.5" alu full range but its just too small for the volume level I like. Anything in the 82-86db sensitivity range could fit with the old woofer I have. I'm not looking for perfection, just a driver for a cheap'n cheerful diy build
Old 6th May 2021, 02:27 PM   #2
ChefChris is offline ChefChris  Canada
diyAudio Member

How about the Hi-Vi B3S or the Visaton FRS8 series?
Old 6th May 2021, 03:08 PM   #3
diyAudio Member

Thanks for the suggestions! The Hi-Vi looks to only reach 8kHz and I hoped to find something that would reach atleast 12kHz. The Visaton has a 5db shelf rise in the 3.6kHz and above which could sound sibiliant which I'm sensitive to. It might be okay some degrees of axis though.. Have you heard the Visaton yourself?
Old 6th May 2021, 03:23 PM   #4
ChefChris is offline ChefChris  Canada
diyAudio Member

I have not but was thinking of getting a pair to try as they are so inexpensive and even have cute little grills for them. Visaton make a FAST speaker with them where the FRS8 is the primary driver. Stella Light
Old 6th May 2021, 03:35 PM   #5
diyAudio Member

I've found some decent sound clips on youtube and I couldn't hear any ringing on the few tracks beeing played. The specs looks very good with only 2.5grams moving mass. I think I have to order a pair since I've found a seller in France with really cheap shipping too. Thanks again for the recommendation!
Old 6th May 2021, 09:02 PM   #6
ttan98 is offline ttan98  Australia
diyAudio Member

Hi,
I use the Tangband-w3-2141, you can get them from PArts express or ALiexpresse recently advertises unit.

TB W3 2141 full frequency 3 inch speaker, efficiency 1W/1m: 87 dB, bandwidth: 75 20K Hz, natural resonance point: 75 Hz|Transformers| - AliExpress

This unit's FR goes beyond 10khz, sounds good too. You probably need to spend more for the performance that exceeds the above unit, For better performance look for Scan Speak Discovery series, 10F/8424.
Old 7th May 2021, 01:32 AM   #7
perceval is offline perceval  Taiwan
diyAudio Member

I placed this one in a TABAQ, and using a small notch, it sounds balanced and with good extension in both highs and lows.

https://aliexpress.ru/item/329472930...618.1600219247

Not the cleanest driver ever, but a very good performer.

Trying to find the one I got a while back. That one was the diamond in the rough I was looking for.
Old 7th May 2021, 01:39 AM   #8
perceval is offline perceval  Taiwan
diyAudio Member

Ha, looks like this one... but mine does not have coating, it’s just a paper cone.

Maybe this new one is even better, or worse, than the older version.

https://aliexpress.ru/item/330360029...id=67304270423

PS... why does Ali thinks I’m Russian?
Old 7th May 2021, 01:42 AM   #9
diyAudio Member

I've looked into those drivers and with Norwegian import taxes added its suddenly not fun anymore^^. This will make up my 2.nd speaker system and I chose a not so serious analogue setup this time just to try something different . It's going to be a turntable, tube amp and a F.A.S.T speaker in a old Tandberg enclosure. Going for that oldschool vibe, directly opposite from my main rig. I've been drooling over the Alpair mono suspension line lately.. If I like the sound of the Visaton I might upgrade later to a Alpair 7ms. The reason for mentioning Alixpress is that some of the more serious drivers there are beeing sold as cheaper rebranded drivers for the Asian market. But often I don't recognize the original so I cant find the specs for them, and the vendors spec is often false. Thats why I hoped someone on this forum had done their own measurements.. For 20ish usd I've seen speakers with vented pole piece, alu basket and neo magnets. The value one those aspects alone is very high but that doesn't matter if its all trown together by the factory. An spl graph would reveal if the driver is good or just a collection of parts from leftover inventory.
Old 7th May 2021, 01:57 AM   #10
diyAudio Member

Perceval , that looks like a Alpair driver, it even says Mark for Mark Fenlon in the title. No wonder it sounds good! That might be the factory having leftover components from Marks production but with their own cone material. I have a feeling that Mark uses different companies to make the sub parts of his driver. It's a good practice to prevent the manufacturer to keep producing after the original order is done.
At that price I would rather have the original one with the aluminium cone and a good quality control that Mark drivers have. I remember you bought some other drivers earlier btw, did any of those sound good?

Anyone found a Ali 3-4" gem that measures well?Hide this!Advertise here!