Anyone found a Ali 3-4" gem that measures well?

I'm looking for a cheap 3-4" for a FAST application in some old speaker boxes. I've looked around aliexpress, and some of the drivers appear to have good build quality. Some even have aluminium baskets even down into to 16usd range. So I'm wondering if anyone have measured some of these? I have a Fountek 2.5" alu full range but its just too small for the volume level I like. Anything in the 82-86db sensitivity range could fit with the old woofer I have. I'm not looking for perfection, just a driver for a cheap'n cheerful diy build :)

Thanks for the suggestions! The Hi-Vi looks to only reach 8kHz and I hoped to find something that would reach atleast 12kHz. The Visaton has a 5db shelf rise in the 3.6kHz and above which could sound sibiliant which I'm sensitive to. It might be okay some degrees of axis though.. Have you heard the Visaton yourself?

I've found some decent sound clips on youtube and I couldn't hear any ringing on the few tracks beeing played. The specs looks very good with only 2.5grams moving mass. I think I have to order a pair since I've found a seller in France with really cheap shipping too. Thanks again for the recommendation!

I've looked into those drivers and with Norwegian import taxes added its suddenly not fun anymore^^. This will make up my 2.nd speaker system and I chose a not so serious analogue setup this time just to try something different :). It's going to be a turntable, tube amp and a F.A.S.T speaker in a old Tandberg enclosure. Going for that oldschool vibe, directly opposite from my main rig. I've been drooling over the Alpair mono suspension line lately.. If I like the sound of the Visaton I might upgrade later to a Alpair 7ms. The reason for mentioning Alixpress is that some of the more serious drivers there are beeing sold as cheaper rebranded drivers for the Asian market. But often I don't recognize the original so I cant find the specs for them, and the vendors spec is often false. Thats why I hoped someone on this forum had done their own measurements.. For 20ish usd I've seen speakers with vented pole piece, alu basket and neo magnets. The value one those aspects alone is very high but that doesn't matter if its all trown together by the factory. An spl graph would reveal if the driver is good or just a collection of parts from leftover inventory.

Perceval , that looks like a Alpair driver, it even says Mark for Mark Fenlon in the title. No wonder it sounds good! That might be the factory having leftover components from Marks production but with their own cone material. I have a feeling that Mark uses different companies to make the sub parts of his driver. It's a good practice to prevent the manufacturer to keep producing after the original order is done.
At that price I would rather have the original one with the aluminium cone and a good quality control that Mark drivers have. I remember you bought some other drivers earlier btw, did any of those sound good?

I bought a lot of drivers from here over the years.
Sadly, those two are the only ones I would recommend from the shelves I have.
There might be more, but at one point, you get discouraged buying horrible things.

I remember a copy of those drivers with suede looking surround. That one had more distortion than music coming out of them!

I ended up buying the Visaton FR8. I should give me a couple a hours of some fun making them work :). If the low sensitivity turns out to be a dealbreaker I'll try something else with with proper T/s parameters. I just hoped atleast one of the 20 china models listed on Ali were designed correctly..

I've now tried both the Faital Pro 3FE25 8ohm and the Visaton FRS8 4 ohms. The Faital Pro has way better sensitivity and looks to be better made. Huge magnet and leaf thin membrane gives high sensitivity. I was a bit underwhelmed looking at the Visaton in comparison but I decided to mount it anyway. Tapping the membrane it felt thicker and more damped than the Faital. So a breaf summary of the two:

1,The Faital has a more dynamic sound but the treble felt coarse when playing loud. Cymbal crashes were worse than my old Dali 2way speakers. I felt the sound a bit fatiguing but some people I know would not have a problem with them.

2. Visaton has quite poor sensitivity but a more damped and controlled treble. It's quite detailed with a small shelf rise in the 4kHz and up region. But it's not excessive and listening slightly off axis, the treble becomes very well behaved. Its way less offensive than the Faital. Cymbal crashes are quite good and equals the soft dome in the Dali's I currently use.

The low sensitivity matched better with the old 8" I have and was easier to integrate in a 300ish XO. I plan to stick with the Visaton and now I just hope it can handle the 70W tube amp I plan to use on it ^^. I think you guys are going to very impressed with the cheap little Visaton :)

Last edited: