Go Back   Home > Forums > >

The biggest baddest documented design for a 4inch?
Please consider donating to help us continue to serve you.

Ads on/off / Custom Title / More PMs / More album space / Advanced printing & mass image saving

Old 13th April 2021, 04:59 PM   #1
donovas is offline donovas  South Korea
diyAudio Member

Cool The biggest baddest documented design for a 4inch?

Im trying to build a set of cabinets for my girlfriend using the generic 4" chinese drivers and would like to know what exotic designs are out there thats for squeezing the most bass out of these tiny units. Because she likes bass, lots of it, and i wanna satisfy her ��

Edit: already tried tabaq and fh3 in the past and tho theyre great i'd like to build something different
Old 13th April 2021, 05:09 PM   #2
vinylkid58 is offline vinylkid58  Canada
diyAudio Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by donovas View Post
Because she likes bass, lots of it, and i wanna satisfy her ��
You'll want more than 4 inches then.

jeff
Old 13th April 2021, 05:22 PM   #3
donovas is offline donovas  South Korea
diyAudio Member

Hahaha.

Thats the biggest baffle width she wants. So i guess the rest is up to length
Old 13th April 2021, 06:07 PM   #4
Scottmoose is offline Scottmoose  United Kingdom
diyAudio Member

When you say 'the generic Chinese drivers' which are you referring to? There are quite a lot of them out there, and they are not all created equal.
Old 13th April 2021, 07:50 PM   #5
PJN is offline PJN  United States
diyAudio Member

Try a cornu spiral horn, look for the thread here in the fullrange forum. Lots of fun, can be hung on a wall, can be disguised as art work, and can deliver surprising bass out of a small driver. Also cheap to build.
Old 13th April 2021, 09:52 PM   #6
chris661 is offline chris661  United Kingdom
diyAudio Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by donovas View Post
Hahaha.

Thats the biggest baffle width she wants. So i guess the rest is up to length
Think I'd aim for as much cone area as possible. Can you mount woofers on the side of the cabinet?

Chris
Old 13th April 2021, 10:02 PM   #7
zman01 is offline zman01  Bangladesh
diyAudio Member

donovas,

There is a design called the BiB = Bigger is Better!

However, 4 inches as a driver will have limitations, whatever the make or brand.

Given the labor and time you will probably end up investing in the project, probably better to get a set of better drivers and embark on the project.

I have read that the double mouth horns designed by Scottmoose can extract a good amount of low frequency performance from a 4" or 5" driver. You may want to look up the "Maeshowe" and "Silbury"; however you will need to use the drivers for which the designs are intended for, and a generic driver is not likely to work.
Old 13th April 2021, 10:12 PM   #8
xrk971 is offline xrk971  United States
Got Foam?
diyAudio Member

Cornu spiral horn has the largest expansion ratio for a BLH. Hence most bass-bang for the buck. Most of the time people have to attenuate the bass with stuffing in order to balance with the mids and highs.

Cornu with 4in driver is basically a 28in x 28in x 5.5in deep “pizza box”. As PJN said, they can be covered with printed cloth and hung in a wall like artwork. Very easy to get past the significant other without dominating floor space.

The bass is wide deep and surprisingly powerful.

Each driver is connected to 4 radially expanding spiral horns:
Click the image to open in full size.
Old 14th April 2021, 01:22 AM   #9
perceval is offline perceval  Taiwan
diyAudio Member

Since we have no idea which driver we are talking about, it's quite hard to make meaningful suggestions.
Would need TS params.

If the driver has a Qts close to 0.5, it might work in a TABAQ, which always gives me the most satisfying bass experience from small drivers.

Old 14th April 2021, 01:28 AM   #10
planet10 is offline planet10  Canada
frugal-phile(tm)
diyAudio Moderator

Cornu uses the wall to extend a significant sized horn, but they do need to mount on the wall.

The biggest documented enclosure for a 4” would be Maeshowe. But it is fairly specific to get optimum response. A big horn that also uses the wall (or corner) to extend the horn.

Without knowing more about your drivers it would be a crap shoot, a big build, and serious money (compared to the cost of your driver), which could well make for more sense to get more suitable drivers.

If 4” as wide (internal, and that is tight), then a woofer could be mounted side firing and the FR as a midTweeter. Or load the FR into a small bo and add a couple small woofers tucked away somewhere or otherwise disguised.

An example of side mounted woofers (actually one on each side, so why a bit fatter than i think you want)

dave

The biggest baddest documented design for a 4inch?Hide this!Advertise here!