The biggest baddest documented design for a 4inch?

Status
This old topic is closed. If you want to reopen this topic, contact a moderator using the "Report Post" button.
Im trying to build a set of cabinets for my girlfriend using the generic 4" chinese drivers and would like to know what exotic designs are out there thats for squeezing the most bass out of these tiny units. Because she likes bass, lots of it, and i wanna satisfy her ��

Edit: already tried tabaq and fh3 in the past and tho theyre great i'd like to build something different

donovas,

There is a design called the BiB = Bigger is Better! :)

However, 4 inches as a driver will have limitations, whatever the make or brand.

Given the labor and time you will probably end up investing in the project, probably better to get a set of better drivers and embark on the project.

I have read that the double mouth horns designed by Scottmoose can extract a good amount of low frequency performance from a 4" or 5" driver. You may want to look up the "Maeshowe" and "Silbury"; however you will need to use the drivers for which the designs are intended for, and a generic driver is not likely to work.

Founder of XSA-Labs
Joined 2012
Paid Member
Cornu spiral horn has the largest expansion ratio for a BLH. Hence most bass-bang for the buck. Most of the time people have to attenuate the bass with stuffing in order to balance with the mids and highs.

Cornu with 4in driver is basically a 28in x 28in x 5.5in deep “pizza box”. As PJN said, they can be covered with printed cloth and hung in a wall like artwork. Very easy to get past the significant other without dominating floor space.

The bass is wide deep and surprisingly powerful.

Each driver is connected to 4 radially expanding spiral horns:
317434d1355440408-building-cornu-spiral-horn-img_0721-jpg

Since we have no idea which driver we are talking about, it's quite hard to make meaningful suggestions.
Would need TS params.

If the driver has a Qts close to 0.5, it might work in a TABAQ, which always gives me the most satisfying bass experience from small drivers.

TABAQ-HifiBerryAmp_II.JPG

frugal-phile™
Joined 2001
Paid Member
Cornu uses the wall to extend a significant sized horn, but they do need to mount on the wall.

The biggest documented enclosure for a 4” would be Maeshowe. But it is fairly specific to get optimum response. A big horn that also uses the wall (or corner) to extend the horn.

Without knowing more about your drivers it would be a crap shoot, a big build, and serious money (compared to the cost of your driver), which could well make for more sense to get more suitable drivers.

If 4” as wide (internal, and that is tight), then a woofer could be mounted side firing and the FR as a midTweeter. Or load the FR into a small bo and add a couple small woofers tucked away somewhere or otherwise disguised.

An example of side mounted woofers (actually one on each side, so why a bit fatter than i think you want)

tysenV2-passive.jpg

dave

Maeshowe rings all the bells for me, thank you. I have contacted scott and will try to build that.

International money transfer is pia from korea, however. I might not be able to pay the required fee, whatever that may be.

Cornu uses the wall to extend a significant sized horn, but they do need to mount on the wall.

The biggest documented enclosure for a 4” would be Maeshowe. But it is fairly specific to get optimum response. A big horn that also uses the wall (or corner) to extend the horn.

Without knowing more about your drivers it would be a crap shoot, a big build, and serious money (compared to the cost of your driver), which could well make for more sense to get more suitable drivers.

If 4” as wide (internal, and that is tight), then a woofer could be mounted side firing and the FR as a midTweeter. Or load the FR into a small bo and add a couple small woofers tucked away somewhere or otherwise disguised.

An example of side mounted woofers (actually one on each side, so why a bit fatter than i think you want)

dave

I agree with those who say getting the best bang for your buck as far as bass goes is the Cornu spiral. The picture that XRK shows in post #8, is a 27" square with a 5" ID depth and a 4.5" Fostex FF125WK driver from planet10. It was my first build of the Cornu type and led to a world of fun. Definitely worth considering if you're trying to get the most out of a small inexpensive driver.

Here they are stretching their legs over at Dave's place.

Attachments

• IMG_2023.jpg
    IMG_2023.jpg
    231.6 KB · Views: 240
Maybe I missed something, but have you thought of some type of sub? There are designs that can be part of a taller cabinet (look for the Voxel or the Nola Brio Clone) and are very near your 4" limit. The enclosures can be modified to be as narrow as possible if you adjust the other dimensions.
Mike

Last edited:
Status
This old topic is closed. If you want to reopen this topic, contact a moderator using the "Report Post" button.