SEAS FA22RCZ build

I have been enjoying these for the last few weeks now and I'm very impressed! I used the plans Scottmoose released for a large vented cabinet for the FA22RCZ. I used walnut ply for the sides and Baltic birch for the front and rear baffles (front has walnut veneer). The bracing was not in the plans but was recommended. I did use a 1.5mH inductor in series with a 15 Ohm resistor (as per the Seas application note) to tame the HF but with this small change I find these hard to beat! They are one my favorite builds to date! Thanks to the exceptional cabinet design and Scott for posting it!

Nice work! The FA22RCZ is a favorite of mine. It has the same chassis as the Troels Gravesen-designed JA-8008 so I replaced the FA22RCZ with that driver and the associated TW034/waveguide tweeter.
The FA22RCZ is a very natural sounding driver with great tone but suffers from inevitable "cone cry" at high levels. The Ja-8008/TW034 is a step up but much harder to integrate and also $$$...

Nice work! The FA22RCZ is a favorite of mine. It has the same chassis as the Troels Gravesen-designed JA-8008 so I replaced the FA22RCZ with that driver and the associated TW034/waveguide tweeter.

The FA22RCZ is a very natural sounding driver with great tone but suffers from inevitable "cone cry" at high levels. The Ja-8008/TW034 is a step up but much harder to integrate and also $$$...
I'd be very interested to hear your impression of the JA-8008...

Oon

I have been enjoying these for the last few weeks now and I'm very impressed!
-
I did use a 1.5mH inductor in series with a 15 Ohm resistor (as per the Seas application note) to tame the HF but with this small change I find these hard to beat! They are one my favorite builds to date! Thanks to the exceptional cabinet design and Scott for posting it!

Seas FA22RCZ 8" Fullrange Driver – Joseph Crowe

Reposted with Audio Volume Increased -- Full Test on Seas FA22RCZ 8" Fullrange Driver - YouTube

frugal-phile™
Joined 2001
Paid Member
...inevitable "cone cry" at high levels...

...to tame the HF...

I never really listened to mine before going at them. I do not seem to have either of these issues.

FA22-calinda-enclosure.jpg

dave

11-opas that is lovely cabinet work. I bet they sound good too. My interest in FR speakers is hot at the moment as I've recently made a pair of 70 L reflex cabs with Hemp FR8 which are terrific. I am curious to know how other 8" FR units sound. I am presently trying out different inductor/resistor combinations to tune the mid/high lift.

I like the fantastic woodworking skills on display in this thread!

These are indeed great drivers once you tame the shout. mp9, that's an interesting link to the Joseph Crowe project.

The boxes I built were to the specifications recommended by SEAS. This was my first attempt at foam core boxes as a distraction from COVID and was more a proof of concept to see if I liked their sound and perhaps as speakers for my office.

This payed off big time! I'm still listening to them in our family room biamped with TAD 1601s augmenting the bass. I plan to attempt nice cabinets when I pick up a table saw this summer.

Hmmm... The application note says, "We recommend using a closed cabinet of approximately 60 litres net volume" So I assumed that's what size their box was. I didn't do the calculations! A larger box would probably help with their anemic bass, wouldn't it?

I have had some time to play around and actually built a smaller sealed version of the same cabinet... For smaller rooms I prefer the sealed version with its super fast and tight bass, even if it doesnt dig quite as low as its bigger brother... I can get similar results by stuffing the ports in the bigger version when moved to smaller rooms but they do have a much bigger foot print...
Hi guys,

Just joined this forum. My name is Raymond, live in the Netherlands. I'm still pretty new to speaker building. First pair where the Cyburgs needles. Next (and currently used) where a set of TABAQ's which I really like.
As I'm completely in love with the Fern & Roby speakers, I stumbled upon this thread.
11opas, I really love your two versions! I'd love to try one of these as well. I hope you can give me some advice on which set I should go for. My livingroom is pretty small (at least probably for American standards :) ), it's about 25-28m2. As the room is pretty small, I need to be able to place the speakers close to the rear wall.

Can you tell me which version you would advice (I don't mind the bigger size of the vented cabinets itself)?

Regards,
Raymond

Hey Raymond, It really depends on how much room you have as far a speaker placement. The bigger version sounds slightly warmer and digs deep, well into the low 30s in room, while the smaller version has a faster and leaner characteristic. It starts to roll off quickly around 50hz. My advice would be if you have the floor space, build the bigger version and just stuff the rear port if the bass becomes over powering in the smaller room... I am very happy with both builds and consider them my favorites in a long line of diy projects over the years... Good luck and please keep us updated with pics..

Thanks for your reply 11opas. I've drawn the two versions in 3D CAD today and compared them with my current TABAQ cabinets, but I must say these look huge compared to the slim TABAQ's! I think I'll first make a mockup in cardboard to see how these designs would fit in my living room.