Markaudio CHN-50 small bookshelf

Hi everyone!

I would like to show off my work and research on Markaudio CHN-50 fullrange driver. This was my first rodeo with Markaudio in general and I must say you get a lot for what you pay ekhm.... when you get correcion network right.

My goal was to make an affordable full-range near-field speaker that would play vocals nicely and also look somewhat classy. Mission Accomplished in my opinion.

Box is made of 12mm beech plywood according to plans from Markaudio website (also included as attachment), lined with low-density wool felt on the inside and veneered with European walnut. Binding posts are just 6mm copper tube with 4mm bore to accept any banana plug.

When I first listened to these speakers they sounded...how to put it....BAD. Intrusive midrange and very aggressive highs. All that had to be corrected so I pulled my DATS and UMIK-1 from a closet and made a couple of sweeps which I then used for filter design in XSim.

With the filter they sound warm and intimate but still detailed and bass output is surprisingly generous yet accurate for such a small driver. Listening position is crucial to get the sound just right but you are not limited to just near-field applications. When paired with a subwoofer they can put up quite a show in a smaller room at decent loudness.

Attachments

• chn50.jpg
    chn50.jpg
    155.5 KB · Views: 1,581
  • CHN-50_crossover.PNG
    CHN-50_crossover.PNG
    93.6 KB · Views: 1,533
  • _IGP7310.jpg
    _IGP7310.jpg
    974.8 KB · Views: 1,429
  • _IGP7313.jpg
    _IGP7313.jpg
    779.4 KB · Views: 1,218
  • _IGP7304.jpg
    _IGP7304.jpg
    469.8 KB · Views: 1,526
  • CHN50-slot-vent-box.png
    CHN50-slot-vent-box.png
    76.4 KB · Views: 1,165
Reactions: 1 user
Did you run in these speakers, because of the metal cone and the special spider they need +100h run-in with light music to sound good. In the beginning this is always sounding very force and bright. That is standard with all Mark Audio drivers

Did you run in these speakers, because of the metal cone and the special spider they need +100h run-in with light music to sound good. In the beginning this is always sounding very force and bright. That is standard with all Mark Audio drivers

I have never really thought about that. Now that you mention it, I will keep an eye out if they change over time. It is just hard to imagine break-in would smooth out 10dB peaks in frequency response. One hump was around 1.5kHz which is caused by baffle step loss and the other much more annoying was from 12 to 20kHz which I think is cone breakup.

Attachments

• chn50uncorrected.jpg
    chn50uncorrected.jpg
    157.3 KB · Views: 563
They have a cone breakup, but it's not that bad mostly. But i know from experience with drivers from Mark Audio that straight of the box they sound very aggressive and bright, and when run in that balances out almost totally.

But on my 10.3M drivers i also use a correction network to tame the highs.

frugal-phile™
Joined 2001
Paid Member
Nice work. Like the other new CHN, this is a standout.

As waxx suggests nothing whould be done on evaluation and )possible) corection until they have at least 100 hrs on them. Slow & gentle break-in.

Another of Scott’s boxes that needs to be redrawn (note that the sketch has FF85wk in it).

The CHN-50 fits into the A5.2/3 boxes pretty much unchanged.

dave