Western Electric 555 Fieldcoil power supply

Status
This old topic is closed. If you want to reopen this topic, contact a moderator using the "Report Post" button.
Hello and thanks for any information on this topic you may have.

I am currently working on building a system around a pair of the Western Electric 555 drivers and I contacted Rod Coleman for help with the power supply for these. Unfortunately, I cannot find any information on the value of inductance of the field coil.

If anyone has access to one of these drivers, or better yet, already has determined this value, please let me know.

Thank you for your time!

You don't really need to know the inductance of the coil, since you will be running it using DC current, where inductance, being an AC parameter, has no effect after the current has settled after application of the DC voltage. You need to know the coil DC resistance to establish a current that will stay within the power dissipation rating of the field winding. A higher current will cause more cone damping than a lower current will, so adjusting this current (staying within its upper limit) can be used as a control to adjust the Q of the speaker-box combination that you want.

Status
This old topic is closed. If you want to reopen this topic, contact a moderator using the "Report Post" button.