Go Back   Home > Forums > >

External Speaker On/Off Switch
External Speaker On/Off Switch
Please consider donating to help us continue to serve you.

Ads on/off / Custom Title / More PMs / More album space / Advanced printing & mass image saving

Old 21st February 2021, 03:38 PM   #1
dbxdx5 is offline dbxdx5
diyAudio Member

Default External Speaker On/Off Switch

I'd like to wire up an external on/off switch for my bench speakers for those times when I'm testing an amp that has a DC thump at power on and off. Idea obviously being that I'll switch on the speakers a few seconds after powering on the amp and switch them off right before powering down. (If I had a bench preamp with a speaker switch, I'd be good, but I use an old smartphone as my signal source, feeding it directly into the amp.)

So, I have a DPDT slide switch handy--is there any reason not to connect both the + and - speaker wires through the switch, versus just + or -?
Old 23rd February 2021, 07:29 AM   #2
ouimetnick is offline ouimetnick  United States
diyAudio Member

Send a message via AIM to ouimetnick External Speaker On/Off Switch
Doesn’t matter. What ever floats your boat. Nothing will happen if you break the circuit by disconnecting only the + or - wire rather than both.
Old 23rd February 2021, 10:24 AM   #3
waxx is offline waxx  Belgium
diyAudio Member

As long as you don't use tube amps, this will not matter much. Tube amps need a constant load on the output, so there you want to make sure when you switch of the speaker, that there i a dummy load on the amplifier (in the form of a high power resistor) otherwise your amp my go down due to that.
  Reply to this post

External Speaker On/Off SwitchHide this!Advertise here!