Go Back   Home > Forums > >

Implementation of Fostex FF85wk
Please consider donating to help us continue to serve you.

Ads on/off / Custom Title / More PMs / More album space / Advanced printing & mass image saving

Old 23rd February 2021, 04:53 PM   #21
KCHANG is offline KCHANG  United States
diyAudio Member

Hi Vix,

That's as big a set of balls as I am willing to have.

The main reason for size of the balls is that it allows the baffle step attenuation f3 to be around 200 Hz, where the bass modules take over.

Kurt
Old 23rd February 2021, 05:19 PM   #22
diyAudio Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by planet10 View Post
Have you tried with the woofers closer to the FF85?

dave
Hi Dave,

That's a good question, and the main concern I had when I was building the system.

My design constraint was that I wanted to use those bass modules, which I have been using for >20 years as the "foundation" of various speaker projects, and I had no intention of building a new set of bass modules. The resultant center-to-center distance between the FF85wk and the upper woofer is around 27.5" (31.5" between the center of the FF85wk and the mid-point of the two woofers). This is of course a large distance.

I try to ameliorate the issue by doing two things. First, the crossover frequency is 200Hz. Second, I listen to the speakers from ~10-12 feet away. So far, I have not noticed a problem.

Kurt
Old 23rd February 2021, 05:43 PM   #23
Bigun is offline Bigun  Canada
diyAudio Member

Kurt, I suspect Dave is suggesting that you simply turn the bass units upside down.
"The test of the machine is the satisfaction it gives you. There isn't any other test. If the machine produces tranquility it's right. If it disturbs you it's wrong until either the machine or your mind is changed." Robert M Pirsig.
Old 23rd February 2021, 06:01 PM   #24
diyAudio Member

Ah, I did not think about that. It is actually a good idea. I'll give it a try.

Kurt
Old 23rd February 2021, 06:08 PM   #25
planet10 is offline planet10  Canada
frugal-phile(tm)
diyAudio Moderator

The large size has the advantage of pushing the 2π to 4π transition, it also makes centre-to-centre larger resulting in (ideally) pushing the XO down in frequency.

To be more specific, the first thing i would look to in that system is to flip the woofers around do they are closer to the FR, and i would trim the paper mâché down so that the woofer box can be imbedded into the sphere.

I would suspect centre-to-centre could be halved, allowing for halving of the XO point while still maintaining the magic quarterwave distance.

dave
Old 23rd February 2021, 06:12 PM   #26
planet10 is offline planet10  Canada
frugal-phile(tm)
diyAudio Moderator

Quote:
Originally Posted by KCHANG View Post
The resultant center-to-center distance between the FF85wk and the upper woofer is around 27.5" (31.5" between the center of the FF85wk and the mid-point of the two woofers). This is of course a large distance.
You need to maesure to the middle of the bottom woofer.

Guess about 36”. Suggests an XO less than 100 Hz to mauintain the optimal spacing. If that could be halved, you XO point would be close to perfect.

dave

Implementation of Fostex FF85wkHide this!Advertise here!