New Lii Audio 18" beast

Attachments

• F-18-2-1.jpg
    F-18-2-1.jpg
    164.1 KB · Views: 1,278
Huge magnets, cost more money.
Make this 18" driver with 5x time stronger = bigger magnet (minimum)
and this will be starting very interesting performance.

Do you mean like the magnet Lll Audio put on the Crystal 10 and its replacement the Silver 10?
Btw, anyone know if the 10's magnets are Alnico? Looks like it could be but no mention on the website.

Also getting back to the 18, the surround looks to be an accordion folded paper like a continuation of the paper cone and with a coating?
Again no mention on the site if the surround is paper, foam, or textile.

To be honest, i don't see the advantage of this kind of big fullrange drivers. There are drivers that are much better quality that are smaller and more efficient, and much cheaper. But 18" must mean a lot of beaming in the high frequencies. I would like to see some independent measuring on and of axis with good results before i would consider these...

It should be a nice speaker for those who want a coherent sound and some "bass" with an open baffle.

I'd love to see tradeoffs in response and smoothness of increasing motor strength to say qts-0.31 on this and Fane's 12-250TC. (Are there any speaker engineers at Diyaudio who would lend some insight?)

Actually, short of a semi-custom type (which tend to be expensive due to economies of scale) a high grade AlNiCo is usually the most expensive to purchase. It's also usually the trickiest, and therefore most costly, to implement when high flux densities are desired in the VC gap due to the physical configuration -AlNiCo has some specific requirements in that regard which is one reason many drivers using it these days have relatively weak motors (in addition to usage requirements and marketing purposes).

I've got a set of F15s on OBs as well, with 18" woofer assists. Big fat image, great on percussion, piano. If they do something bad, I cant hear it.

Are bass helper woofers generally needed for F-15? I strongly prefer the single-driver approach, having made box speakers using single AN Super 15 Ferrites (but no OBs).

Based on the few reviews I have seen, it appears that F-18 has better bass, but F-15 is better in other frequency ranges.