Port size and length question

Status
This old topic is closed. If you want to reopen this topic, contact a moderator using the "Report Post" button.
I am planning to make a speaker enclosure with a vent. It appears that the length and diameter of the vent varies widely across different calculators. And WinISD seems to suggest that having a port any size will have the same effects, which is probably a feature of the free version. Is it reasonable to use the Butterworth B4 Ported results, given the smaller volume of the enclosure required? It is of course needs the adjustment for the volume occupied by the vent.

Code:
Ported Box

Vas = 1.88 lts
fs = 105 Hz
Qts = 0.59
D = 75 mm
	Dimensions
Vb = 0.23 ft3  =  6.59 lts
= L x W x H
f3 = 60.46 Hz
fb = 105 Hz
Dv = 1 in  =  2.5 cm
Lv = 0.02 in  =  0.02 cm

Vb: Speaker Box Internal Volume
f3: 3dB Cutoff Frequency
fb: Enclosure Resonant Frequency
Dv: Port Diameter
Lv: Port Length

Note: Port volume (inside the port) does not count toward speaker volume.

Code:
Butterworth B4 Ported

Vas = 1.88 lts
fs = 105 Hz
Qts = 0.59
D = 75 mm
	Dimensions
Vb = 0.13 ft3  =  3.76 lts
= L x W x H
f3 = 72.04 Hz
fb = 105 Hz
Dv = 1 in  =  2.5 cm
Lv = 0.7 in  =  1.7 cm

Vb: Speaker Box Internal Volume
f3: 3dB Cutoff Frequency
fb: Enclosure Resonant Frequency
Dv: Port Diameter
Lv: Port Length

Note: Port volume (inside the port) does not count toward speaker volume.

port diameter and lenght should be adjusted in winISD so the velocity is low enough (below 17) to avoid coughing. That is why you can adjust it. If the port diameter is to small, the air pushed trough it will make noises you don't want, so making it bigger (or use more than one port of the same lenght) can bring that air velocity down.

Hi - Just wondering if I am doing it correctly?

Driver

SPL.jpg

https://i.ibb.co/S76r0D9/SPL.jpg

Air-Velocity.jpg

https://i.ibb.co/RNqnXfg/Air-Velocity.jpg

Last edited:
Status
This old topic is closed. If you want to reopen this topic, contact a moderator using the "Report Post" button.