microTower Revisited

Joined 2011
Paid Member
It is a big paradigm shift for me to be thinking about reversing decisions I made and components I chose based on the EL70 roll-off. Everything from DAC chips, to opamps, to tubes in my amps, I have always chosen the "brightest" most "analytical" in order to squeeze what I could out of those drivers.

I probably should have done what you did and thrown some super-tweeters into the mix rather than brightening up the entire system. Whatever, hindsight is 20/20. It won't be difficult to bring the balance back. In fact, it will be enjoyable. :)

Joined 2011
Paid Member
I forgot to mention that I wired up the 16 ohm taps on my Tubelab SSE last night. With approximately 12 ohms of speaker impedance connected, the result is 3.75k ohms of primary load on the tubes (vs. 5k ohms ideal SSE design spec). With 12 ohms on the 8 ohm taps, the resulting primary load is 7.5k ohm.

Reducing primary impedance increases power and distortion, and increasing primary impedance reduces power and distortion. However, it is not linear and the computer modelling is not perfect. In the end, it is a matter of looking at output tube specs and using ones ears.

In this case, I have chosen the 16 ohm taps because a) EL34, 6L6, KT-88, etc. can easily handle loads as light as 3.6k ohms, b) SE Amp CAD shows a negligible increase in distortion, c) I get a bit more power, and d) it sounds excellent to me.

Not really important to anyone but me, however someone may find this useful if they are running a tube amp and considering microTowers with dual P7.2HD.

Joined 2008
Paid Member
I'm hopeful the 12Ohm impedance won't be a big deal for my amps.

When comparing the technical drawings for both drivers, it looks like you were right with the 3mm estimate of the P7HD sitting proud of the baffle.

I did some cursory research for gaskets to fit, and am convinced I'll do the same as you with cardboard and the existing gaskets.

Attachments

• EL70.jpg
    EL70.jpg
    109.9 KB · Views: 218
  • P7HD.jpg
    P7HD.jpg
    56.8 KB · Views: 220
The change from 8 ohm to 12 ohm will be no problem for your ss amp. In fact the higher impedance will be easier on the amp. Higher impedance will equal less current flowing. The dh200 is a great amp... I can only imagine the one you’ve modified will be even better.

Last edited:
I’m glad the cabinets are holding up well

The hafler amp is simple and well made. Attested to by the fact that it’s around 45 years old and still works well. I can’t remember absolute numbers but I did look at the fft of this unit a couple years ago and was surprised to see mainly second order distortion at up to quite a few watts.

Joined 2011
Paid Member
So I would say my P7.2HD drivers are fully broken in at this point. I have not driven them to distortion or exceeded xmax, or anything reckless like that, but lets just say the moving parts are certainly compliant at this point. :)

They've really smoothed out. Bass through to lower midrange has fully developed now. Yet, that sparkling top end is still there. I am even more pleased with them now. There isn't really anything missing except for the obvious SPL limit, which I don't find limiting at all. During my testing I was seeing SPL peaks well into the mid-90dB and a couple up to 100dB (at the listening position) which is actually far louder than I listen 99% of the time.

10 out of 10.

Joined 2011
Paid Member
Hey von Ah, here's a tip you might find useful (although I am sure it may have occurred to you anyway).

Save the plastic protective covers that are shipped on the P7.2HD drivers and use them to cover the drivers when not in use.

The only real peeve I have about the microTowers in the "Castle" configuration is how much dust and grime the top drivers collect over time. I often thought about making grilles with acoustic fabric but never got around to it.

This is a pretty simple solution and has already proven itself. Also reduces risk of accidental damage due to pets, careless vacuuming practices, thrown objects, etc. etc. :) I cover all 4 drivers, because - why not?

Attachments

• cover.jpg
    cover.jpg
    127.1 KB · Views: 179
Last edited: