microTower Revisited

frugal-phile™
Joined 2001
Paid Member
Joined 2011
Paid Member
Hey Dave (and Scott),

Since the EL70 are long discontinued, have you ever given any thought to revisiting the microTower design with current drivers in mind? Is there anything out there that might fill the shoes of the EL70 in such a speaker? Ideally something with a little more sparkle up top.

It really is a fantastic design, IMO. Not "fancy" but extremely effective and very easy to build.

Joined 2011
Paid Member
Really!!??

Wow!

I've got a support "holey brace" behind all my drivers - does the Pluvia 7 fit that dimension, too?

EDIT: It's okay, I can look that up myself. I shouldn't be so lazy. I do see the screw holes are different, which isn't a big deal. The FR (of the metal cone version) sure looks nice at the top, not rolled off at all.

EDIT2: Hmmmm. Nominal 6ohm. So for a pair I'd have to decide between a 3ohm speaker or a 12ohm speaker... not ideal options, but I do have both 4ohm and 16ohm secondary taps...

Last edited:
frugal-phile™
Joined 2001
Paid Member
The magnet on the p7 is not as deep, you would have to add a spacer. Driver cutout is different, but i hav efound that a really thick gasket from home depot made it fit pretty good.

I had one client who built 3 sets of EL70eN bipole mets. His friends kept wanting a pair. He is now doing P7.

https://frugal-phile.com/boxlib/markaudio/PluviaSeven-dims.pdf

dave

I'll see if I can do a bit of Microtower type work over the holidays, assuming I'm still vaguely awake.

I have a feeling I'm going to be spending a while in the unit for some festive quiet time. Since I've got full 'net access there, a rather decent system (still need to get the dedicated listening room up & running, but it's not bad as-is) and some large screen monitors, it's not a bad lurking place.

Joined 2011
Paid Member
The magnet on the p7 is not as deep, you would have to add a spacer. Driver cutout is different, but i hav efound that a really thick gasket from home depot made it fit pretty good.

I had one client who built 3 sets of EL70eN bipole mets. His friends kept wanting a pair. He is now doing P7.

https://frugal-phile.com/boxlib/markaudio/PluviaSeven-dims.pdf

dave

Thank you, Dave.

On Madisound's site, the Pluvia 7HD shows a "depth" of 71.5mm, which is identical to the EL70. Your drawing shows 58mm. It appears there are different versions of the Pluvia 7.

frugal-phile™
Joined 2001
Paid Member
Pluvia 7HD shows a "depth" of 71.5mm, which is identical to the EL70.

The Pluvia7HD is different than the Pluvia 7 (CHS-70). We have not looked extensively at the P7HD, they are next to to audition. They have the promise of a bit greater DDR than the P7.

P7HD is a development on the A7.3 so it should be able to be fitted to the microTower but the terminus might need to be changed (there is a specified terminus for A7.3)

dave

Joined 2011
Paid Member
Thanks for clarifying about the P7HD vs. P7.

Yes, I remember from the microTower plans that the terminus varied for the different drivers. That all makes sense.

I am also very glad that I chose to make my bottom plate (where the terminus is located) removable so if I ever decide to change drivers it is a simple matter of modifying or replacing the terminus, or perhaps replacing the plate and the terminus.

Perhaps a mod could spin this (and related discussion) off into a separate "microTower Revisited" thread.

I think a Pluvia 7HD microTower could be truly excellent. The basic design has stood the test of time, it is easy to build, has a small footprint and big WAF, can be bipole or "semi-omni", etc. etc.

Last edited:
Joined 2011
Paid Member
Okay so I have coveted the Woden Silbury and wanted to build a pair for a long time. I even have the thumbs up from my wife.

However, I am very, very tempted to order 4 Pluvia 7HD right now to retro-fit into my microTowers. The microTowers really do have a lot going for them. And it isn't that I dislike the EL70 drivers. On the contrary, I have really enjoyed them. They do lack somewhat in the treble end, however. Also, the ones up top on my microTowers got badly bleached by the sun (sitting by the window for years) so I treated/coated them and the results are pretty ugly.

I still have a big desire to build and hear some BLH speakers, but there are other options that would be a lot more practical than Silbury.

Hmmmm.... my wife just told me she'll buy the 4 Pluvias for me.