microTower Revisited

Joined 2011
Paid Member
The "vintage gold" would have looked better in my speakers, but it would have cost me another $50 CAD. After paying $71 USD for shipping I think the silver will be just fine. I'll probably get slapped with some duty/taxes before it is all said and done, too.

Last edited:
frugal-phile™
Joined 2001
Paid Member
Vintage gold = copper. The name is vintage you could get actual gold drivers in the 1st versions out.

attachment.php

dave

Attachments

• MarkAudio-gold-v-copper.jpg
    MarkAudio-gold-v-copper.jpg
    24 KB · Views: 845
Having built a few of the Micro-Tower designs, my only comment would be that the Castle style with top angled forward to the room at anywhere from 5 - 10dg has a lot of room placement advantages over the flat-top.
But of course that would only apply to new builds - which with a properly outfitted shop could take less than a day before first listening test.

Joined 2011
Paid Member
Right on, Signal! You could hook them up to an old receiver or amp and run them real quietly down in the basement for a couple hundred hours of break in. That way they'll be ready to rock once they are installed in a cabinet.

This process used to be really pushed by Mark Fenlon. I am not sure if he is still so adamant about it, but it sure won't do any harm.

Have any of you guys had samples of the CHN70M metal driver yet? I m guessing this new driver is aimed squarely at the EL70 fans and I suspect will sound immense in the castle towers? It looks like a very promising driver especially if you can’t hear anything above 14khz like me.

Joined 2011
Paid Member
It is never a good idea to poke a moose, so please consider this more of a wink or a nudge, Doc.

It looks like I might actually receive my Pluvia 7.2HD in the next week or two. I've been reverse engineering some tunings for the retro-fit into my microTowers by modelling the tunings for EL70 and CHR-70 in WinISD and then playing with the Pluvia 7.2HD in there to get similar response, phase, group delay...

Obviously this is sub-optimal, but it is the only software I understand and can use effectively. I could combine this with trial and error to get something "satisfactory", but a proper tuning calculated by the master would certainly be better. ;)

Last edited: