Go Back   Home > Forums > >

FRS8 Builds?
FRS8 Builds?
Please consider donating to help us continue to serve you.

Ads on/off / Custom Title / More PMs / More album space / Advanced printing & mass image saving

Old 28th November 2020, 10:48 AM   #1
irishpatrick33 is offline irishpatrick33  United States
diyAudio Member

Default FRS8 Builds?

Does anyone know of any builds that would work with a Visaton FRS8 as a full range single driver computer speaker? Thanks
Old 28th November 2020, 12:00 PM   #2
waxx is offline waxx  Belgium
diyAudio Member

This driver is not really fit for a single driver system, you won't have any bass (with 0.3mm xmax) at all. But a 2L sealed can go to 150Hz (F3) on low power.

For this. better look at smaller fullrange with at least some xmax and a good response at least to 100hz from as example Tangband or Mark Audio drivers for this kind of thing. I thought there were some valid designs from Planet 10 that could be used as smaller computer speakers.
Old 28th November 2020, 12:10 PM   #3
joensd is offline joensd  Germany
diyAudio Member

There are quite a few around though not too easy to find as most of them can be found in german diy forums where the drivers originate from.
You could search for "frs8 fast" or similar and will find people use it similar to other 3" fullrange drivers (Tangband, Fostex etc.) so mostly with an assisting woofer.
There is even an official "kit" from Visaton, the Stella light:
STELLA LIGHT | Visaton

But thatīs not exactly what you want and Iīm with Waxx here: Those 3" fullrangers will quickly run out of steam, even nearfield.
You could try 1.5-way and use two of them or get a cheap 2.1-amplifier with built in crossover and built a nearfield-sub to go with them.

It all depends on your listening levels as well. I was quite happy with some Tangband W3-871S as desktop-speaker but I donīt listen very loud.

Die Kiste | kwerl acoustic

http://www.hifi-forum.de/viewthread-267-897.html

Last edited by joensd; 28th November 2020 at 12:20 PM.
Old 28th November 2020, 12:17 PM   #4
Entas is online now Entas  Lithuania
diyAudio Member

I own Visaton FRS8M in a MLTL enclosure (12,5 cm x 27 cm x 43 cm). As the comment #2, I agree that they don't have "real low frequencies/bass". However, if they are placed in the corner, you can "perceive low frequencies/bass" to some degree. In my 18m^2 room they are not that bad, but I'm not sure if I can recommend them in this exact setup.

And now to the "day dreaming" part. In my case I own H-class amplifier, which is not a good choice for powering these speakers. With an amplifier that is oriented toward more quality of sound, you might even get more "perceived low frequencies/bass".
Attached Images
File Type: jpg IMG_20201003_171135.jpg (676.3 KB, 108 views)
Old 29th November 2020, 09:39 AM   #5
diyAudio Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by joensd View Post
There are quite a few around though not too easy to find as most of them can be found in german diy forums where the drivers originate from.[/URL]

[/URL]
Yes, the German is a problem for me.
Old 29th November 2020, 09:49 AM   #6
Scottmoose is offline Scottmoose  United Kingdom
diyAudio Member

Google translate does a reasonable job on them, manually or via an auto facility like Firefox's (lesser browsers are available ). Are we talking the standard FRS8 or the FRS8M with the higher power motor here by the way? I've used the latter; while not up to the standards of some other units in the size bracket, it's not bad within its limits.
Old 29th November 2020, 09:52 PM   #7
diyAudio Member

I have a new pair of FRS8's sitting around, not the FRS8M. My nephew is asking for Creative Pebble speakers for Christmas. I thought that I might find something to improve upon his choice. Hoping for something like a single driver Audioengine A2 build.
  Reply to this post

FRS8 Builds?Hide this!Advertise here!