What do you think makes sound in a driver?

Status
Not open for further replies.
OK, the question still is how the cone "radiates" the sound waves. Does it move like a solid piston, as a solid, or as a thin angled surface, which can also bend, or vibrate on its own plane(s)?

At frequencies > driver's area [Sd] it's pistonic up to the acoustic diameter of the VC, then transitions to its TL modes running in/on the diaphragm and launching wherever this is on the diaphragm, so a given frequency can be at multiple different points around its axis due to uneven thickness, doping/whatever changing its SoS, summing/cancelling in some cases and once there's no more area, the VC itself does the final HF broadcast if there's no dust cap and/or whizzer to further enhance, extend it.

With a not too smooth a response measurement, these mechanical 'XO' points are clearly visible.

GM

Account disabled at users request
Joined 2020
Let's think this thru...first off we 'should' assume the structure of a cone is like any material, in that, it has a stretching value, a zone where it can be deformed & will return to its original 'length', past which will deform permanently.
So we are ramping up a force trying to move it, & assuming it has little mass, we easily move it on the voice-coil end...the structure deforms as a wave traversing the length until it reaches the surround. But what is happening when the applying force stops & reverses direction before the first application of force can move the entire length of the cone?
Let us not yet consider reflections of the wave when it reaches the end. Further, what speed is this applied force imparted into the cone, is it faster than the speed of sound as many materials do indeed traverse?

Can-o-worms here...
-------------------------------------------------------------------Rick.....

It is quite hard to get out of the comfort zone. Seems to be a simple question, but it pulls some guys out that zone, so the anger in them. :) But, some like the quoted above, put some thinking into it. All we see is the pumping action, so-called pistonic motion, but at the end of the piston, we have a cone, instead of a cylinder, with its varying radii. And, that cone has a terribly thin surface. If you look at the Lii Audio speaker, for example, it has 2 grooves in the middle, and grooves usually are thinner than the material the object is made of. So, it doesn't get pushed (pistonically ?) like the parts on both sides of that groove.

With the question in the OP, I am not asking you to prove how the sound is made by an audio driver. I know that. All I asked is how you DIYers perceive how the sound is made by the moving cone. Oh, it is easy to say, it is pistonic and forget about it. The back of the cone is not a container as the front, has a larger angle, more than 180 degrees, but it too makes sound.

One can, at least, tell oneself that the cone is pushing the air in front, cone being a container and be comfortable about it, but the back? The front pushes what it contains, the back goes right through it.

Last edited:
Think this: you can choose any point on the driver cone, front or back, middle or surround, dent or flat, anywhere. It makes a sound if it moves. Now pick another point, and that makes a sound! All these points make sound independently and at any given time these points might make "the same sound" (points very close to each other, or further apart if the cone is not undergoing a breakup, eg. frequency is low enough) or something else, if the points are moving in different directions, amplitudes, phase. All these miniscule independent sound sources combine.

All this is unnecessary thinking unless you are trying to make a driver. Just measure the speaker and see what the combined effect is, the frequency response! Actually, single frequency response measurement doesn't reveal much but measurement from every direction will (spinorama) ;) Hope this will save you some time sorting the answer for you question(s) and interest.

Joined 2020
As noted lads -I suggest not feeding the troll. He started this thread with the pretense of asking a question, yet started lecturing a few posts later. Instructive juxtaposition. ;)

If you don't know the answer, please stay out of the "discussion."
It is really hard to move away from the comfort zone. :)

Last edited:
If you don't know the answer, please stay out of the "discussion."
It is really hard to move away from the comfort zone. :)

Far be it from me to interrupt your gripping pronouncement -but I happen to be a consultant to Markaudio. I contribute to the design of commercial wideband loudspeaker drive units. So I'm afraid I don't need you to instruct me on the subject, or tempt me out of the mysterious, quivering 'comfort zone' of which you speak. Nor do the majority of others here, who are at least as well versed (and in several cases considerably more so).

Last edited:
Joined 2020
Far be it from me to interrupt your gripping pronouncement -but I happen to be a consultant to Markaudio. I contribute to the design of commercial wideband loudspeaker drive units. So I'm afraid I don't need you to instruct me on the subject, or tempt me out of the mysterious, quivering 'comfort zone' of which you speak. Nor do the majority of others here, who are at least as well versed (and in several cases considerably more so).

It took you off your comfort zone. It is so obvious. :)
Being a consultant to a business entity, or being a businessman is not a big deal, whatever the business. And, it doesn't mean you know the answer. You should've stayed away with your "comments."

Status
Not open for further replies.