Unpowered full range OB laptop and phone speakers

Status
This old topic is closed. If you want to reopen this topic, contact a moderator using the "Report Post" button.
Joined 2015
Paid Member
Laptop speakers do not sound very good, especially the lower end laptop speakers. I am surprised no one has come up with a laptop with subwoofers..

I have put together a set of open baffle speakers as shown in the image. These are taken from a PC speaker set that has long been dismantled. The speaker reads 4 Ohms. Originally used with my LM386 amplifier board but the LM386 is just too much for the low volumes I need to use without disturbing anyone. This is extreme near field, and is better than headphones. In fact, low volume speakers are a real advantage in a working environment, where others cannot be disturbed by the music during their phone calls, video conferences etc.

Here is the question: can these speakers be safely connected to the output of a laptop or a speaker (many years ago there used to be unpowered PC speakers)? . I have used a set of unpowered speakers many years ago on my desktop PC which has long since either given away or broken.

It all comes down to impedance. The typical resistance of a earphone for phones ( I measured mine) is 30 Ohms. Now this is not the impedance, but can function as a lower limit for impedance, since the formula for impedance is:

Impedance = SquareRoot(Resistance^2 + Impedance^2)

Instead of connecting a 4 Ohm speaker across the phone jack output, I can connect a 30 Ohm resistor in series with the speakers, and maybe a capacitor to keep out extreme low end. I tried this, and the sound volume is acceptable when boosted with Audacity (bass and treble) and distortion is not really a problem.

Does this all make sense? Anything I have missed? Anyone use this?

Attachments

• UnpoweredSPkrs.png
    UnpoweredSPkrs.png
    351.4 KB · Views: 79
  • BassAndTrebleAudacity.png
    BassAndTrebleAudacity.png
    34.7 KB · Views: 75
Last edited:
Status
This old topic is closed. If you want to reopen this topic, contact a moderator using the "Report Post" button.