The new Mark Audio CHN-110 6" driver

Did someone already build something with this driver? It took my attention also when they were announced a year ago or so and they finally (thanks covid for the delay) came availeble in my region so i ordered a pair. I'll probally design an own enclosure but i was wondering if someone did already do something with it and what their impression was.

Specs and graphs that are published promise a lot i have to say, and my first sims also. I'm thinking to make a 40L ported cabinet tuned to 38Hz with it after simulating some options. If the data is correct this could be a deal breaker at 60€ for such an 8"(actually a 6.5" if you distract the bezel) i think...

Attachments

• CHN110 vented floorstander.PNG
    CHN110 vented floorstander.PNG
    50.4 KB · Views: 1,631
  • CHN-110 twin-pipe.PNG
    CHN-110 twin-pipe.PNG
    412.9 KB · Views: 1,625
  • CHN-110 double chamber reflex.PNG
    CHN-110 double chamber reflex.PNG
    60.9 KB · Views: 1,705
that is also what i think, altough i think you can tune it to 39Hz and got a response to F3 of 35Hz and an F6 of 32Hz, but that only in a 40L reflex.

That is a lot bigger than my Mark Audio Alpair 10.3 desktop speakers in my office that get a similar response in a 17.9L reflex. But that driver costs a lot more of course. I paid when i bought them a few years ago about 140€, while i paid 60€ for the CHN110's...

In a waw alignment you can have a good flat response to 100Hz in a 5 to 15L sealed. But then you need a subwoofer below that.

I'm not so for TL's. I know what they can do, but they don't do it for me. Idem with BLH's or similar alignments. The bass is out of phase with the front response, whitch is part of the trick, i know. But it disturbs me... (personal preference).

frugal-phile™
Joined 2001
Paid Member
Jeff has made it and the FHXL w CHN-110 are playing Sexy Sadie right now.

These started with no break-in at all, we are maybe 15 min into them.

They are really quite good even with no time on them. Detailed, full throated. Bass is decidely there, but seems constrained (most likely due to no break-in, but possibily exacerbated by the FHXL being on the smallish side for these (better in Joan by the sims).

Pictures to come.

dave

frugal-phile™
Joined 2001
Paid Member
OK, some more noodling.

These drivers are $113 from Madisound, add a Joan flat-pak from Bob (or diy from scratch), an inexpensive 50ish w Class AB or Class D, and a source, one could have a really decent system for under a grand. And it will play fairly loud enuff rock-n-roll for most people, have sufficient bass to satisfy, sounds good on both female & make vocal, shows very good detail on plucked guitar (a somewhat similar EnABLed driver does better).

I also have sims suggesting 10-35 litre reflex if you can live with less bass (the big box looks to go near as low, but won’t have the LF gain.

dave

Yes, a bit of a surprise these drivers are, especially with what we're used to in terms of "break-in" time from other Mark Audio drivers. The 110 is quite nice in the FHXL, and may satisfy some builders in terms of bass depth, which isn't too shabby "as is". A little woolly, but we're assuming this is due to being a brand new driver. Mids and treble are very smooth. Could be very impressive in a Joan.

You're going to want some power behind these drivers if you like your music to have a bit of slam. They play very nicely with Dave's Sit-3, but the amp was audibly clipping on one track.

jeff