The new Mark Audio CHN-110 6" driver

Well, i was looking at the 40L vented i said. FH XL are to big for my use. I'm more looking for sometihing i can put agains the wall so a standmount ported cabinet is now the plan and the sims are good to the mid 30's, even on rather high volume (louder than i play). They will probally be used in my tech-lab upstairs with an old Marantz 1050 (25w) amp that is in repair now...

I did receive them today btw and they do look good. Now i need to try to find wood in this new covid lockdown since today in Belgium to make the cabinets...

Attachments

• IMG_2543e.jpg
    IMG_2543e.jpg
    537.7 KB · Views: 621
  • IMG_2545e.jpg
    IMG_2545e.jpg
    556.7 KB · Views: 617
  • IMG_2546e.jpg
    IMG_2546e.jpg
    507.5 KB · Views: 555
  • IMG_2547e.jpg
    IMG_2547e.jpg
    457.9 KB · Views: 559
Reactions: 1 user
frugal-phile™
Joined 2001
Paid Member
Joan is the big cousin the existing FH family. People kept asking & asking for one that would support larger drivers. So Scott broke down. It is not the same alignment as the others in the family, less bass gain, so a cousin not a sibling.

Currently in beta.

There is a thread (or subthread) somewhere where it is talked about a bit.

Joan-the-FH-extents.png

dave

Ah, good that it exist, but also not fit for my case. But i like to design myself anway. It's a good timespending in this lockdown that again hit my country...

Joan is the big cousin the existing FH family. -
-
It is not the same alignment as the others in the family, less bass gain, so a cousin not a sibling.
-
dave
IMO, JOAN horn is a bit of a conundrum. "Less bass gain" should allow it to be used in a modest, smallr size room as that would help mitigate overpowering the room with Bass Boom, Room Modes and Frequency Nulles. Sadly, the physical size and corner horn placement requirements make it difficult to place in a smaller modest sized room for desired performance. In a large room, you may end up having to employ a subwoofer and that's another can of worms getting away from why we want to use a wideband driver in the first place.

I must admit to leaning towards acquiring these drivers as a 2nd speaker system, as they look pretty intriquing and a winter project will be nice. A better option than tweaking with my Lowther hybrids which sound great anyway. I particularly like Scott's Mass loaded Voigt design for the small footprint. but will possibly look to fold them to keep her indoors happy :) But there again Joan does look nice?

Last edited:
Sadly, the physical size and corner horn placement requirements make it difficult to place in a smaller modest sized room for desired performance.

Corner placement isn't a requirement for any of these FH family enclosures, except maybe the FH3 with Fostex FE126. Any of the FH3 & FHXL enclosures I've heard have never been anywhere near a corner.

FHXL + A10p in my small-medium sized room produces deep bass.

jeff

Last edited:
Based on my experience with A12p Super Pencils, I would saw no, but I don't recall seeing a sim for the Joan.

jeff
Super Pencil was designed to get the most Bass from the A12p in a reasonably sized box. JOAN "less bass gain" then FHXL FH family would probably benefit from corner loading, regardless even near a rear wall away from corners, that's still a significant real estate deficit to live with in anything other than a dedicated "smaller modest" size listening room.

...I guess we will find out soon enough -
https://www.diyaudio.com/forums/full-range/219389-alpair-12p-cabinet-options-5.html#post6395139
Little bit of progress. I have ripped all the baffle/top/internal/etc pieces and finally found time to trim the first side on the router table via a template. Worked great. Three more to go and then I'll cut the other pieces to fit the sides.

I fit everything on about 1 and a quarter sheets of 4x8 plywood. Vehicle limitations meant I had the full sheet cut into two 4x4 halves for transport. Worked out fine by nesting the sides before I rough cut them with a jig saw.

- exactly, FHXL/10p different driver different horn. Just as Pencil10/A10p will outperform Standard Pencil12/A12p in the Fq extremes.
I venture to say JOAN/A12p will likely behave more like what you said of the FH3/FE126 in that regard.

And speaking as the person who designed it, I venture to say 'wrong.' ;) You can always ask you know, you don't need to speculate. I don't bite. Not now Halloween is over for another year anwayway. :vampire:

Last edited:
And speaking as the person who designed it, I venture to say 'wrong.' ;) You can always ask you know, you don't need to speculate. I don't bite. Not now Haloween is over for another year anwayway. :vampire:

Having just bagged a pair from Stefan (KJF), and as the designer of said designs Scott, is there a clear winner per se? I still like the look of the ML-TQWT being old school and would like to know how to fold it and keep the design parameters. But I'm always open to persuasion if there is an even better option?

You can certainly use subs. And possibly also experience the utter pain in the backside they can sometimes be to set up and use. ;) Please note the 'can sometimes be' part there: I emphasise that phrase so as to prevent the possibility of accidental misinterpretation.

I spent a while a few days ago playing with Viottis set up in my company's listening room; sub added. All well and good, although I was not 100% happy happy with the integration even though it did provide some extra gain when the enclosures were pulled away from boundaries (the Viottis were designed with about 3dB compensation for step loss & optimised for use relatively close to a front wall). Still, livable with, and enjoyable enough. Cue the following day, come in the morning, fire them up, and joy of joys, since a lower level was desired, the next ten minutes of my life were spent mucking about adjusting the sub output. Since the latter was not adjustable except via the controls on its built-in amplifier, cue back and forth walking over to the blasted thing, fooling with its output level etc. Tedious.

That's one example. There are others. Useful they can certainly be. Inconvenient they can also be, depending on circumstance. And it depends on your requirements in the first place. This 'don't do bass well' rather depends on what is wanted. Some are perfectly happy with what a well chosen and implemented wideband can do in the LF. Some require something else. All fair enough, everybody wants different things.