Portable Bluetooth Speaker Design Help

Status
This old topic is closed. If you want to reopen this topic, contact a moderator using the "Report Post" button.
Hi all,

I'm designing my first speaker - a portable bluetooth speaker which I plan to 3D print the case for...

I'm currently at the stage of designing the box and selecting the drivers etc.

I'm using WinISD to model this - so far I'm struggling to meet my original goal of around 60Hz F3 with 1L of box volume.

I think I'm pretty close to having a workable plan now - however I'd really appreciate someone else more exprianced than myself looking over the charts / figures and giving some feedback on if this will be good or if / what I should change etc!

I'm using 2x Dayton ND65-4 2-1/2" full range drivers, paired with 2x Dayton ND105-PR 4" Passive Radiatiors (with 21.8g weight added to each) with a box volume of 1L (0.035 ft3).

I'll attach screenshots of the transfer function chart - it shows an F3 of 83Hz and a bass boost of 2.5db above 0db, which I 'belive' is desirable in this type of design?

The main concern I have is cone excurtion - the amp I plan to use is the xyp15w - which claims 16w per speaker at 12v - so I'm modeling this with a total input of 30w as a worst case senorio - at this, I'm seeing up to 2mm over xmax between 98Hz and 170Hz - the passive radiators are well below xmax however.

As above, I'd really appreciate any advice / tips / comments on this plan!

Many Thanks,
Jack

Transfer Function Chart:
Transfer Function Chart.png

SPL:
SPL.png

Cone Excurtion:
Cone Excurtion.png

Passive Radiator Excurtion:
Passive Radiator Excurtion .png

Some thoughts:

- The excursion curve is the worst-case scenario: full power at a single frequency. That very rarely happens in music, so I'd say you're fine.
- There's no particular need to model at 30w unless you're modelling with 2x drivers and 2x PRs.
- In the interests of wider HF dispersion and reduction in IMD, it might be worth considering adding tweeters and a crossover.

Everything looks pretty sensible to me.

Chris

Status
This old topic is closed. If you want to reopen this topic, contact a moderator using the "Report Post" button.