LIne Array where to start from?

Status
This old topic is closed. If you want to reopen this topic, contact a moderator using the "Report Post" button.
Hi, im from Argentina, right now we cant purchase stuff from outside Argentina, is really a pain to send dollars outside our country.

Im trying to start building a Line Array, for my front stereo setup.

I need to start searching some place in Argentina that sells small drivers at good price to start my own build, what size recommend me? what specs i need to read on each driver to be OK to be used in Line arrays? Was thinking abt to use at least 15 drivers (4 inchs) per side.

I want to make at least 2 meters height arrrays.

Thanks in advance.

Last edited:
Did you find anything suitable? Depending on what you want from your array I'd say stay below 4" driver size, look for drivers with a flat or slightly rising frequency response (towards high frequencies) and pick one that has enough x-max for what you want it to do.

The mentioned SB Acoustics 2,5" is an excellent driver for array duties, be prepared to have something else to do the lower notes. There's only so much one can do.
The 3.5" TC9 I chose is a middle ground to act as a true full range array.
The SB can be mounted closer together. This has an advantage as far as comb filtering is concerned.
However there have been several TC9 arrays build with great results as long as you can have, say 2.5 meter or more between your listening position and the array.

My arrays have 25 drivers each and it stands about 2.25 meter tall. Mounted close together it does the trick.

For an array driver I would look closely at it's impulse response and frequency response. Basically you get the driver you put in there back as being on steroids. Meaning if you choose a driver with a ringing top you'd get way more ringing as a result. No amount of DSP is going to solve that.

Leading me to another part of these kind of arrays: you need EQ if you want to run a full range line array. Without it you'd get a whole lot of output at low to mid frequencies that fall off from there at a rate of about 3 dB per octave above it. A good thread about the theory of line arrays is: Infinite Line Source: analysis

Lots of math is provided, but even if you skip all those parts, you'll learn/see why the EQ is needed. Even in a theoretical version ;).
There's also different array types to consider.
A CBT array can be build that uses shading and there are good examples of that on our forum as well. An excellent example of that type of array is: My New Line Array--It's a Modified CBT24 from Jim Griffin.
Jim has written a very good paper on arrays that is also worth a read: https://audioroundtable.com/misc/nflawp.pdf

The theory of an array like that CBT array is slightly different, the straight 'full range' array's pretend to be infinite sources, while the CBT would be a very good example how to make a finite line array. I say pretend, that's because the floor and ceiling reflections that make an indoor straight array 'seem' way taller than it is won't act as ideally as it should to really be able to call it infinite. However they are fun with the right driver, and hopefully with a few precautions/considerations you can make them work with the room. That's where their true power lies in my opinion.

I hope you can find something that suits your need. No Peerless/Vifa importers in Argentina? :) The TC9-FD18/08 is a very affordable driver with excellent properties for line array duties. Except from a few relatives of that driver I wouldn't know of any other driver that comes close for what I wanted them to do.

Status
This old topic is closed. If you want to reopen this topic, contact a moderator using the "Report Post" button.