Phase issues

Status
This old topic is closed. If you want to reopen this topic, contact a moderator using the "Report Post" button.
Hello,

I've got a pair of small fullarange satellites in a 2.1 system with some serious phase sifting in the low-mid treble region. The sats consist of the PS95 driver in a 2.8 liter box with a 14cm baffle without any passive filters, and a 8's sub for everything lower than 100hz. Take a look at the REW measurement ( dont mid the high bass output this is just how i like to hear my computer speakers with some extra bass) i am curious about the multiple phase shifts in the 1k-5k region. I dont notice something significant by ear, but maybe that's because i havent listened to a lot of speakers. The mesurment is taken form my ear high right in the middle of the speakers (which are about 1 meter apart and have a slight tilt inwards. Is this significant? what might be causing this?

Attachments

• das.png
    das.png
    316.6 KB · Views: 116
They aren't multiple phase shifts as they appear there (although there may be some jumps). If you unwrap the phase it will look like an ever increasing line. It is due to the influence of room reflections.

If you want to get a better look at the phase without room influence go to the IR windows tab and add a Frequency Dependent window of 15 cycles or less. The lower the number of cycles the earlier you are looking in time.

This will remove a lot of the wrapping.

diyAudio Moderator
Joined 2008
Paid Member
You are looking at phase plus delay. You can remove the delay. In Rew, look at estimate IR delay, this will try to find the proper starting time, and will not change anything else.

This works for single measurements.
attachment.php

Attachments

• Screenshot from 2020-10-26 08-41-07.png
    Screenshot from 2020-10-26 08-41-07.png
    28.9 KB · Views: 221
Status
This old topic is closed. If you want to reopen this topic, contact a moderator using the "Report Post" button.